Smoking

zr2tim

My car puffs blue smoke (oil) at start up badly if the car was running in the past few hours. Not as bad if it sits for a few days.

It continues even after running but calms down alot.

I feel it is head/seals, but here is my question:

I run Castrol GTX 10W-30. If I switch to Mobile 1, might it help?

If the cylinders are getting oil (which they must be), will not burning off the
M1 be cause a different problem?

Thanks.

Do you get more smoke out of the exhaust pipes under boost? If not, it may be valve seals. How many miles?

Not sure. When I start it, smoke billows out of my garage.

the motor only has about 1000 mile on it after rebuild. New turbo too. Up pipe is clean.

doing some searching after my post, I found a few things about the seals. Mine are new, but...

If I remeber right, when removing the valve covers, a couple were up off the surface of the head. I was able to push thme back down. Shouldn't they stay down?? (not an expert by any means).

The seals are new during rebuild.

Not sure. When I start it, smoke billows out of my garage.

the motor only has about 1000 mile on it after rebuild. New turbo too. Up pipe is clean.

doing some searching after my post, I found a few things about the seals. Mine are new, but...

If I remeber right, when removing the valve covers, a couple were up off the surface of the head. I was able to push thme back down. Shouldn't they stay down?? (not an expert by any means).

The seals are new during rebuild.
if you have them on the exhaust you need to cut down the guide to have them on there because the factory didnt have them they have scrappers on the valve. ask me how i know

Don't have them on the exhaust side, just the intake side.

If you used aftermarket exhaust valves, they likely don't have the scrapers on them the factory exhaust valves had. If that's the case, you'll have to pull the heads, take them back to the machine shop, and have the exhaust guides milled down to accept seals. Went through this myself...hard lesson learned.

when i got my heads done they told me that the guides were good and this thing smoked like a chimney. took them back and had new exhaust valves put in and milled the guides down and put on positive seals and it didnt smoke after that. the machine shop thought i was crazy that the guides were perfect and it must be my turbo or the ring didnt seat well i told them i went over everything and it came down to the seals. when i took off my heads it had oil running down the combustion chamber. thats why everytime i shut the car off and restarted after 5 minutes it would smoke bad.