smoking problem is gone, finally after many years

obrut

Well I finally put my car back together and got it running and I no longer have a smoking problem. My car use to let out a puff of smoke on start up and then a steady stream of blue smoke at idle. The smoking problem started after I had the engine rebuilt. I changed the turbo twice and did the pvc catch can but that didn't help. When I had the engine rebuilt the second time the builder told me that however honed the block the first time honed it to much and the pistons were to small. He ordered new forged pistons and rings. I asked him about the oil rings and if they were low tension or not. When he ordered the pistons and rings he said that he had to specify standard tension because low tension oil rings are what came standard with the piston and ring kit. I had him go through the heads and install all new guides and new seals on the intake valves only. I put the engine together and all seems well now. If anyone is interested or remember my long struggle you can read about it here.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/191466-smoking-problem-found-maybe.html

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/50164-i-think-im-done-car.html

There are some other post that I had but these are the main two. I hope that this helps anyone out there that is going through the same problem, btw I'm still running the HV pump and plate setup. Anyway back to present day, I started it up and let it run for about 20 minutes, shut it off and drained the oil and filter. Filled with fresh oil and new filter and took it for a ride. I did some low boost 4-6psi runs, about 10 runs, to 50-60 mph to start to seat the rings. I want to get it out more and drive it but I seem to have some tuning issues to work out. I have a tip in stumble and a little bit of a rough idle. My car is a 87 with a stock location intercooler with big neck, te44 turbo, stock converter, 009s, adjustable fuel pressure regulator set a 43psi, 210/210 roller, walbro pump, rjc plate and 3" down pipe. The chip that I have in there now is a PTE chip from about 5 years ago. I just started looking at this problem and noticed a few things on my scanmaster, the AF reads 9 at idle and blms are 105 at idle. I did a few searches and it seems like low blms are caused by bad maf or fuel problem. I also tried turning the cam sensor back 1/8 of a turn and that help a little. I pulled the new r43ts plugs that I put in and they all look good. When I shut the car off the fuel pressure stays up and slowly over several hours bleeds off. I reset the IAC to about 15 at idle and the tps is .42-4.50 One thing that I read while searching was the tip in stumble can be caused by the blms being 105 and then having to jump to 128 which is the first cell or something and this was common with 009s. My concern is that i don't want to be running rich or lean while I'm breaking in this engine and mess something up. Am I hurting anything driving it like this?

same problem i had but all i did was go with new style exhaust valve and put seals on them and my smoking is gone

Get a turbo tweak chip,hows the engine vaccum? Is it steady at idle? Did you set the preload on the lifters?

A new chip will do you wonders,if you have the $$$ get #60 injectors also.

A MAF reading of 9 at idle sounds very high. I thought it was supposed to be 5-6.

AF of 9!! :eek: It should not be over 6, 7 at the very worst! That's why your blm is so low!! Very likely a bad or mis calibrated maf. Is it a reman?

idle rpm is around 775 to 825 if i remember correctly. I'm also not sure if the chip that is in there now was programmed for no egr. I ground the tower down and welded the hole closed in the intake would this make any difference?

I finally had another chance to take it for a ride today. Still no smoke but its running rough at idle. Here is what my scanmaster shows at idle in park fully warmed up after I drove it a few miles.

AF 08 would show 07 sometimes
L8 55
BAE 13.7
INT 125
BL 105
CLE 171
AES 103
R 725-800 every once in a while it would show 850
EPS .42
IAC 19

I have the FP set to 43psi with the line off. The car has a very choppy idle/rough idle and a tip in stumble. I also noticed a surge when cruising at about 45mph. Its not the tcc because while I was holding the gas steady I tapped the brakes and I could fell the tcc unlock and then relock.

Thanks for the help,
Tim

I tried disconnecting the cam sensor after I started it up and let it run and it ran worse. I shut the car off and reconnected the cam sensor and then tried the maf sensor and again it ran worse. It seems like the AF number would be right if the idle would smooth out. I going to pull my plug wires and ohm them and I'm going to recheck all my vacuum lines.