Smoking Issue

Chuckd

I recently changed the oil in my TR from Mobile 1 to Royal Purple of the same weight. Immediately the car started to smoke. Looks like oil smoke but does not have the oil smell. I took the car to the track and it only smoked at start up while at the track and I made a few hits with no smoke. I brought the car back home and put it back in the garage.

Since my car is not driven very much I changed the oil a couple of weeks later as time allowed (back to Mobile 1). It still smokes when I start it every time. I usually never let it run long enough to see if it clears up or not. I no longer have a mosquito problem at my house though.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I was told Royal purple will do weird things some times.

Anyone have any suggestions to a fix?

Disconnect oil line to turbo and plug it off. Start car and see if it still smokes.

You're only disconnecting oil feed for long enough to just start car and see if smoking stops. Its not going to hurt anything

Doesn't take that long to burn up a turbo, I'm going to have to pass on that one. That is the rich mans method. I don't want to buy a new turbo. I need to let the car idle for a few before it starts smoking.

I'll start with the PVC and an oil change.

I had the same problem Chuck. It ended up being the turbo shaft seals. White smoke at start up and sitting at prolonged red lights.

Might need to remove and clean out the intercooler. Might have some residual in it.

You guys crack me up lmao...

If you have a little oil smoke it may be the turbo seal going bad it is certainly not the RP. I've ran RP for years with never a problem. In fact I run it in all my cars. Plugging off the oil line for a bit to see if the smoke will stop is not going to hurt anything just sitting there idling. I have done this myself on my old setup and this was per my TR builder and he is well respected on these cars so if he tells me to do it then I know it won't hurt anything.

You guys need to stop with the "I heard RP was bad for these cars" BS! The smoke was pure coincidence with your oil change. If it is the seal it was going to go bad anyway.

Checked my pvc today. It was ok.

I don't think it's a coincidence. Everything was fine until I switched to Royal Poopoo. This set up has only 700 miles on it and the turbo was brand new from Presicion.

Guess I'll take it off and have the seal replaced.

With only 700 miles, it could very well coincidentally be something else. Why were you changing the oil anyway?

So, smoke is coming out of the exhaust at the rear only, correct? Not engine bay(as in leaks).
What color is the smoke(blueish, dark or whitish)? Before changing to RP, did you run it at the track?
Is oil pressure(mechanical gauge) within specs? Is the oil pump and cover reworked or stock rebuild?

No leaks up front.
Yes about a dozen passes before RP.
Oil pressure is good. About 35-40 at idle and 60 ish under power.
Stock cover. New oil pump. Melling I believe. I'd have to double check to be 100%.

Huh? Disconnect oil feed to the turbo? That sounds like a bad idea.
the poor mans method would be to remove the stock location o2 sensor that is just befor the turbo. light the car off and see if you have smoke out of the o2 sensor hole... if the o2 sensor hole doesnt smoke but the rear exhaust does, then id pull the turbo for a rebuild

Check to make sure you are using distilled water and hard water will ruin your water pump

You're only disconnecting oil feed for long enough to just start car and see if smoking stops. Its not going to hurt anything
How long? A few seconds? Not enough time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk