Smoking......Bad

HRobertson1

My GN started to smoke some so I Havn't driven it much. Was thinking head gasket, and I got some nice new ported heads from scott. We were going to slap them on in a week or two, but since the accident happened he needs to get all the rest he can. Today I took it for a spin to warm it up so I could do a compression check. After about a mile it started smoking so bad it was comical, though probably not funny for the people behind me. I couldnt even see the cars or road behind me anymore, it was like a spy car hitting the "smokescreen". Got it home, let it sit for like 20min and did the compression check per the instructions. First crank all cyl were about 80-85lbs after 4 or 5 cranks all were sitting at about 110-115lbs. I left the gauge on each one for a bit and did not notice any loss of pressure. Anything pop into anyones head about what I should check next?

Thanks for any help,

Henry

P.S. I along with 2 of his good friends were there with scott saturday and went to the hospital with him after the chopper flew him out. He is a awsome guy and even when he trapped and we were trying to pry the door off to get him out, he was cracking jokes, saying "so it can't be buffed out". He will be back on his feet in no time :) And once he gets out, I will give him the ton of pics I took and he can decide which ones he wants to put up.

If it helps, the smoke is white, smells like oil, coolant temp never goes up level doesnt drop, and oil level does drop.

Pulled the up-pipe, dry as a bone. Figured why I was there pull the downpipe, soaked in oil. Checked the oil dipstick again, oil color is fine. Checked the coolant level, it looks the same. Could just the backside of the turbo go out, and that quick?

Check your oil return line from the turbo. It might have a restriction in it and the oil has no where else to go but out the downpipe. Ask me how I know

Checked the coolant level, it looks the same. Could just the backside of the turbo go out, and that quick?

Yep could be. If the plugs are showing no sign of oil it's entering the system after the combustion chambers. The exhausts side of the turbo is the last thing in line. I think you found your problem. ;)

I installed a brand new TE-60 and got about 500 miles out of it before my car started smoking. I pulled the downpipe and the leak was not so obvious, but the shaft play sure was.

Pulled the plugs, none looked any worse than the others. How would I go about checking the turbo?

With the turbo cold, remove the inlet pipe and grab the center shaft nut. The center section may have some play side to side -- this is normal. Then, try to push straight in and pull straigh out (horizontally). If there is ANY play, that a sign that the turbo needs to be rebuilt and is likely causing oil to slip past the seal and vaporize in the downpipe. Also, look to see if there's scoring on the housing or bent compressor blades -- a dead give away that the turbo is due to be rebuilt/replaced.

I had the same problem. Pull the inlet pipe off the turbo. Tons of shaft play. My stocker made it 105k miles before she let out on me.. Now I am searching for a nice upgraded turbo. Throw a new 5857 turbo on there and have fun! Or you can find a nice used TA49 or 44 turbo..

First off let me say thanks for all the info everyone has given :biggrin: I pulled the turbo and checked the shaft, no play at all on the inlet side, blades all looked great. A litte side to side wobble but no in or out on the exhaust side, blades looked great. While pulling the turbo I noticed a 3 prong plug where the oil delivery line connects to the block. There was nothing connected to it. After the turbo was off I located the connector and it was pretty much oil rotted apart.

Pictures? I am curious to see what your talking about haha.

Thanks
Zack

Yeah, I'm not so sure that is your smoke problem. It sounds like you are talking about the factory oil pressure sensor switch which would not be your problem.