Smokey Yunick Buick V6 Intake

Ken Adams

I'm in need of any information/input about the Smokey Yunick Buick V-6 intake. I've searched the internet but came up with no info.

There are 2 different ones Ken. If I remember right Adam is running one right now. there's an air gap design and a more conventional one. Which one are you looking at?

The Original "SY"intake is an air-gap design with a divorced chevy like style t-stat housing, No EGR. It was the FIRST after market air-gap intake. Then there is Other "SY" intake, it has a stock 3.8 na style t-stat housing and is not an air-gap type, It does have an EGR but some are plugged from Weiand and some are not. REALLY the latter style "SY"intake is a Weiand X-cellerator manifold with Smokey's name cast in it.
I have a picture comparison of these two manifolds in one of these threads, buried by now.

I will double check but I think it is the the Weiand X-cellerator with Smokey's name cast in.. Thats for all the great info.

The Xcellerator wasn't a bad intake if you're into all out power but it does lack low end power. The trick to make it work better is to put in a divider so it becomes a dual plain instead of the single plain so you get better bottom end response.

The x-ellerator, unless they changed it, was a 2 piece deal that came with a Holley adapter. Both a 2 barrel and Q-jet carb pads were listed separately. I made my own Q-jet plate, but never could get enough pump shot to overcome the lean hesitation. It MAY have been able to work with a girly cam, tho'. I used the Team G for several years on the street with a pump gas 650 double pumper. That combo ran 13.6's. When I bumped the compression to ~12:1 and converted to alcohol, the same intake, cam, and heads ran 12.7's. All at 3250lbs. If I recall correctly,the p/n's were 7541 and 7542. Ken, you just bought some stuff from me. If you want any help with your combo, let me know.
GB

Some were like that. They took a top end kit part# 7471 for std holley and had the rest of the egr plumbing in it.. There are some weird odd balls out there. Mine has a straight 4500 Dominator flange and has 4 reliefs cut into the flange for a perimeter N20 injection, don't know what it's for. Got it off a guy who had it in a jeep and he was like WTF is this? I said I dunno but I want it lol.

They also had a top so you could use a 2 barrel. Extremely rare to find. I wish someone would make them again or maybe find a stash of them somewhere.