1981 Indy Pace Car 4.1 Engine Build

WE2Regal

One of my all time favorite Buick V6 engine builds covered by a magazine, this appeared in the May 1981 issue of Hot Rod magazine. It was written by C.J. Baker who wrote several articles about Buick V6 performance from Smokey Yunick, Ray Baker of Baker Engineering and Jim Bell of Kenne Bell.

IMG_1810 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1815.JPG
IMG_1816 - Copy (2).JPG

More 1981 Regal pace car specs from April 1981 Motor Tend magazine. Some of the engine parts information conflicts with the Hot Rod article. The block and heads were referred to as "heavy duty" parts, which is what Buick called their special racing parts prior to the Stage I and II parts program. Jim Ruggles wrote in his book on the 4.1 V6 that he also did parts testing for the 1981 pace car.

81pacecar.jpg
81pacecar2.jpg

Last edited:
This car sits inside the airport at Flint Bishop in Flint. I have pictures of it I can pull from my HD if anyone wants to see them. The hood is closed so you don't see the engine at all but it sure is a badass looking car in person.
Growing up in Flint these Regals were everywhere. My mom had an 82 baby blue Regal as a daily driver for years.

I'm fairly certain 2 actual pace cars were built. One was a backup in case the other broke but wasn't needed. The last I knew the pace car used in the race was in the Sloan Museum but could be on loan for display elsewhere.

Last edited:
This car sits inside the airport at Flint Bishop in Flint. I have pictures of it I can pull from my HD if anyone wants to see them. The hood is closed so you don't see the engine at all but it sure is a badass looking car in person.
Growing up in Flint these Regals were everywhere. My mom had an 82 baby blue Regal as a daily driver for years.
Greetings from another Flintstone (Flint Northwestern 1973). I also took some pic's of the car on display at Bishop International Airport when it was there. I believe this one from the Sloan Museum is the car used in the race. A member on here bought one of the 100 or 150 ’81 Regal Pace Car replicas a few years back and posting his restoration on the forum.

Article : 81 Regal Pace Car with pics.

Yes sir, that's the one, cool ass car. Thanks for posting. I'll have to hit you up next time I'm up for The Bricks HotAir....