smoke/oil out of driver valve cover breather

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
I know there's tons of threads on this. I'm not asking to have you guys solve my problem either. I put the car away last fall with no real issues. Started it up today after installing thdp, and a rebuilt turbo and have oil dripping out the driver's breather. I'm just pissed cuz I just polished and powdercoated my valve covers and had my headers ceramic coated and thought I had all my issues taken care of. THis issue happens after normal driving and during boost, which I don't think under boost it is getting any worse. Also while parked I rev the engine and the breather puffs smoke.

Fyi, I believe I have bad valve guides since I still have smoke after start up, which I originally thought was due to the stock turbo being bad. THis obviously didn't cure it but that's besides the point, just trying to put everyone up to speed.

What checks should I do to assure this isn't a major issue? I want to rule things out before anyone tries to give me a solution to this problem. Seems like every time I try to make an improvement mechanical or cosmetic with this car I end up going to steps back and end up with sh!t. SOrry for the rant, I've been busting ass on this car for 3 days non stop so I can get it to a paint shop.

Compression test should tell you. While you are doing it, poor oil into the breather and see if that changes anything. This should tell you whether its motor or valves.. IIRC. Someone more experienced may want to chime in.

Edit, sorry I mean poor oil into the breather, on top of the valves.

according to the numbers on the pcv I have the correct one. It seems backwards though. no flow from valve to tb, but flows from tb to intake. That makes no sense:confused:

according to the numbers on the pcv I have the correct one. It seems backwards though. no flow from valve to tb, but flows from tb to intake. That makes no sense:confused:

Really? :confused: :confused:
At idle / In vacuum the pcv should be pulling.

The pcv should not flow the wrong way at all. Under boost manifold pressure wants to push that way but the pcv is suppose to close and block that from happening. Like a check valve. I don't know how the heck it could be doing it at idle. Unless there is another serious problem.

Well let me get this right. THe small end goes in the intake and the big end goes to the manifold, correct? That's the way this one is.

I noticed the original pcv lets less air to the TB, like it seals more than the aftermarket one I have. I figured people would be on this thread like flies on poo.

I put the original pcv valve back in. Seems to seal a bit better than the aftermarket one but still leaks by slightly. After doing this I noticed my engine actually seemed to get quieter, idled better, and blm dropped to 127. I'm going to do some more experiments tomorrow

Correct me if I'm wrong, small end goes in intake, big end goes to tb, right?

The 3/8" end of the PCV valve goes to throttle body vacuum. The other end inserts into the PCV grommet.

Did a smoke test today. Got exhaust leaks everywhere. Gonna get those dealt with then come back to the smoking problems