Smoke at operating temp from oil breather.

Grand_87_national

I lika... do da cha cha.
Hello, folks. I'm a little worried now, as I noticed today that there was a bit of smoke trickling out of the drivers side breather (it is a filter element style). I've noticed that after seeing full boost, the dipstick has popped up a bit as well. Just enough to push it out if it's seat... but no smoke from the tube at idle (nor the passenger side breather on the front of the valve cover). The breather however, has a haze around it once it warms up at idle, nothing immediately after cold start. The motor was supposed to be on a fresh rebuild shortly before I bought it, but who knows? It is a turbonetics 62-65 turbo on 24psi, e85 fuel, arp studs, 212/212 comp cam. Please tell me this could be something besides rings....

No,

The PCV valve is on the manifold on the passenger side and ties into the vacuum block on top of the throttle body.

Neal

I'll add that there is a bit of oil saturation on the bottom side of the filter element. Not so much that it's trickling off and running down the side of the valve cover, but definitely wet on the filter. It may, I presume, drip off periodically onto the exhaust manifold and burn off, but the manifold appears dry and clean.

No,

The PCV valve is on the manifold on the passenger side and ties into the vacuum block on top of the throttle body.

Neal
Ok. I see it now, and it was unhooked from the hose, I could barely reach it, and while popping it out to check it, it rolled back under the manifold, now I can't reach it. Lol. You really can't do much on these cars with big hands! I'll try to fish it out and check it.
20160828_153923.jpg

Ok, finally after getting it back out of there, I was able to check it, and (besides the hose being unhooked) it seems to be functioning properly. Can not blow through top to bottom, and just a bit of effort to blow through bottom to top. Vacuum hose is hooked up now.

If you can put a cable tie around that would be good. If it comes off again you'll have a boost / vacuum leak.

Neal

Thanks for making me feel better, guys. I was always under the impression that a dipstick tube popping up out of it's seat was bad news. I appreciate the help!

Also, if your dipstick is lifting when you are making power, you probably do not have enough crankcase ventilation available. Have a look at your breather and see if has something restricting the flow. Some breathers have a flap inside them or a grommet with flaps that gets in the way. Others have too small of a hole in them. The whole idea behind the breather is to vent the crankcase when the blow by is at it's highest levels. Low restriction is the key.

this one is a good one. large diameter, low restriction
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-62-1040

Also, if your dipstick is lifting when you are making power, you probably do not have enough crankcase ventilation available. Have a look at your breather and see if has something restricting the flow. Some breathers have a flap inside them or a grommet with flaps that gets in the way. Others have too small of a hole in them. The whole idea behind the breather is to vent the crankcase when the blow by is at it's highest levels. Low restriction is the key.

Is this the correct one for our cars and will they fit on both the driver/passenger side?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

If you can put a cable tie around that would be good. If it comes off again you'll have a boost / vacuum leak.

Any reason why hooking this back up pulled my idle way down? It almost dues when I hook it up and it starts idling rough, my wideband shows pig rich.

Any reason why hooking this back up pulled my idle way down? It almost dues when I hook it up and it starts idling rough, my wideband shows pig rich.
The open hose was a massive vacuum (and boost) leak. If your idle was adjusted while this hose was disconnected and leaking, then you need to go back in and set the idle speed adjustment and TPS voltage now that the hose is fixed.