Smells like Burning.....

graza002

Nucking Futs
My car smells like something is burning....Well actually I think I found out what it is. Here is what I think...On the scanmaster I am only reading 11.4 volts with the engine at 2400rpm..oh and I do have a new battery. Last time I took the car out I smelled the same burning smell....kinda like burning wires. This time the smell didn't start till the return trip home when I also noticed the car falling on its face at WOT...but that's another story, back to the burning smell....I brought the car back home, lifted the hood and began to poke around. I did not see any wires or wire harnesses hitting anything hot or anything that was melted....so that's all good. But I did however, smell a horrific burning smell right on top of the alternator, the smell was not behind below or next to the alternator, just on top. So I am thinking the alt. is toast...right? I don't know how old it is, but what I can say is that 2 years ago I had it taken apart, cleaned and had the barrings replaced....as well as had it load tested, and everything checked out.

My next question is, would an improper power supply such as the alternator being shot cause the car to fall on its face at WOT? At idle everything is fine...

Help please....LOL

Jesus....

Don't everyone jump up all at once.

So far....I have parked the car, let it cool down, removed the alt, got it tested and threw the core through the front windshield :eek:

Oh ya, the alt FAILED the test. Shocker....:D

Well since the alternator was taking a sh!t your fuel pump is not getting the proper voltage it needs to run right so just replaced the alternator and go from there

YES YES YES, the car will fall on its face. Your alt. is gone. Replace it with an lt1 model, and enjoy. I've had 2 go bad, both were rebuilt pos's from autozone. They get SUPER hot, and smell crazy when they're burning! My car ran like crap when this was happening!! My buddy who has lt1 stuff gave me a lt1 alternator to try out. It works great, and alot more modern. No mods needed.

My car smells like something is burning....Well actually I think I found out what it is. Here is what I think...On the scanmaster I am only reading 11.4 volts with the engine at 2400rpm..oh and I do have a new battery. Last time I took the car out I smelled the same burning smell....kinda like burning wires. This time the smell didn't start till the return trip home when I also noticed the car falling on its face at WOT...but that's another story, back to the burning smell....I brought the car back home, lifted the hood and began to poke around. I did not see any wires or wire harnesses hitting anything hot or anything that was melted....so that's all good. But I did however, smell a horrific burning smell right on top of the alternator, the smell was not behind below or next to the alternator, just on top. So I am thinking the alt. is toast...right? I don't know how old it is, but what I can say is that 2 years ago I had it taken apart, cleaned and had the barrings replaced....as well as had it load tested, and everything checked out.

My next question is, would an improper power supply such as the alternator being shot cause the car to fall on its face at WOT? At idle everything is fine...Help please....LOL
Andrew It sounds like you have it pinned down & yes the car will act up if the charging system fails.That alternator is specific to a TR only. lt-1 alt. never tried but interesting . Maybe I have a good used one . Call me if you need help with that Lou

Well since the alternator was taking a sh!t your fuel pump is not getting the proper voltage it needs to run right so just replaced the alternator and go from there

YES YES YES, the car will fall on its face. Your alt. is gone. Replace it with an lt1 model, and enjoy. I've had 2 go bad, both were rebuilt pos's from autozone. They get SUPER hot, and smell crazy when they're burning! My car ran like crap when this was happening!! My buddy who has lt1 stuff gave me a lt1 alternator to try out. It works great, and alot more modern. No mods needed.

I have never heard of that before. What is the power out put of the LT-1 alt.?

Andrew It sounds like you have it pinned down & yes the car will act up if the charging system fails.That alternator is specific to a TR only. lt-1 alt. never tried but interesting . Maybe I have a good used one . Call me if you need help with that Lou

Thanks Lou, I had a feeling that the alt. was bad, but I wanted to ensure that everything else was ok.

I do have a question tho....

I keep reading about alternators that have a 200+ amp power output. Is this too much amperage for the factory wires/comp? I dont want to fry anything....

Any input would be great!

Andrew unless you plan on doing some arc welding theres no need for such a thing.Just get a stock altenator it's already a high output 120 amp unit. Start messing with electrical components & wireing can create problems that you don't need.

Andrew unless you plan on doing some arc welding theres no need for such a thing.Just get a stock altenator it's already a high output 120 amp unit. Start messing with electrical components & wireing can create problems that you don't need.

I was thinking about taking up ARC welding. :tongue: :D

do a search on the LT1 alternators andrew alot of people run them with no problems at all im running one on my motor but it will be a awhile till i start it:(
stock alternators are ok but for a lil more cash you can get a better one the produces more amps

try it out. It does'nt have the flimsy little post on the back that strips out, or becomes loose after you tighten it down a few times. I believe its a 140 amp unit stock, has the same pulley, and works great..

try it out. It does'nt have the flimsy little post on the back that strips out, or becomes loose after you tighten it down a few times. I believe its a 140 amp unit stock, has the same pulley, and works great..

Part Number?

go to gm and ask for a 96 impala ss alternater if you want one new. Or go to pep boys and ask the same. Dont go with that stock one. I originally learned about this from
psiedv6, and he knows his shi# if anybody does around here:D