Small Buick V6 distributor, good price source

SPEEDSTAR

Advance Auto Parts can get the small buick oddfire V6 dist.for 60.00 complete, then if you are running batchfire all you would need to do is remove the points and tack weld the advance locked,if you using seq. it would need a single trigger reluctor and a pick-up installed. IHO I would use the oddfire dist because the rotor has a trailing end thats about 25 degs. long,it can be set at the end of the trailing end at #1 cap pole and still be phased right at 24 to 27 degs. advance. I am using a Mallory Unilite opticle trigger and made a new trigger shutter wheel with one window instead of trying to plastic weld seven windows shut on a V8 shutter wheel. If any one needs help with theres , get in touch with me, I use to mod racing dist. , build crank trigger wheels, and pick-up brackets for Nutek Firepower ignitions, they made the first computerized DIS ignition, that had selectable advance curves and over- revs on the fly,they also made one that used a crank trigger and a locked dist., I have one of the dist. models. Nutek provided Buddy Ingersol with the locked dist, crank trigger unit that he ran on his Pro-Stock Buick stage 2 car, Nutek supplied alot of racers with their ignitions in the 80"s,. Chip Gennassie finished eigth place at the Indy 500 in 1983 in a back-up car running a Firepower DIS. jeff

SPEEDSTAR said:
Advance Auto Parts can get the small buick oddfire V6 dist.for 60.00 complete, then if you are running batchfire all you would need to do is remove the points and tack weld the advance locked,if you using seq. it would need a single trigger reluctor and a pick-up installed. IHO I would use the oddfire dist because the rotor has a trailing end thats about 25 degs. long,it can be set at the end of the trailing end at #1 cap pole and still be phased right at 24 to 27 degs. advance. I am using a Mallory Unilite opticle trigger and made a new trigger shutter wheel with one window instead of trying to plastic weld seven windows shut on a V8 shutter wheel. If any one needs help with theres , get in touch with me, I use to mod racing dist. , build crank trigger wheels, and pick-up brackets for Nutek Firepower ignitions, they made the first computerized DIS ignition, that had selectable advance curves and over- revs on the fly,they also made one that used a crank trigger and a locked dist., I have one of the dist. models. Nutek provided Buddy Ingersol with the locked dist, crank trigger unit that he ran on his Pro-Stock Buick stage 2 car, Nutek supplied alot of racers with their ignitions in the 80"s,. Chip Gennassie finished eigth place at the Indy 500 in 1983 in a back-up car running a Firepower DIS.

Instead of the Mallory, how about a Pertronix unit, and grinding off 5 of the cam lobes?.

Does using the Mallory give a similiar output to the stock cam sensor?. Or is it inverted?.

Bruce, I believe the Pertronics unit would work too.When I worked at Nuteck ,I modded the GM mech. tach drive dist.,using a ford reluctor and a gm VR pick-up. Accel also sells a Mallory look-alike opti module for 39.00 in the Summit cat.,that would still require a custom made shutter window ring. I have read that the unilite module is either on or off. GM has convertors to change the signal if it needs it, you can get them out of junk-yards to,I will find out if it needs one. There is some info on the Megasquirt site about different sensors. The dist. I mentioned earlier comes from a Buick Skylark , 1967 , 3.7, 225 c.u. V6.........Jeff

SPEEDSTAR said:
Bruce, I believe the Pertronics unit would work too.When I worked at Nuteck ,I modded the GM mech. tach drive dist.,using a ford reluctor and a gm VR pick-up. Accel also sells a Mallory look-alike opti module for 39.00 in the Summit cat.,that would still require a custom made shutter window ring. I have read that the unilite module is either on or off. GM has convertors to change the signal if it needs it, you can get them out of junk-yards to,I will find out if it needs one. There is some info on the Megasquirt site about different sensors. The dist. I mentioned earlier comes from a Buick Skylark , 1967 , 3.7, 225 c.u. V6.........Jeff

Thanks for the info..

Another sensor option would be to cut the stock gn cam sensor out of the cap and mount it upside down on the dist. base plate, and fab a metal shutter wheel and attach it to the bottom of the rotor mount ,using this sensor shouldn"t cost anything and that sensor is a hall-effect sensor so it will work if the Mallory unilite wont . The unilite is a squarewave sensor like a hall-effect , but I dont know what volt signal it sends ie:5v..10v..or12v?. I sent an email to Accel tech asking if it would work.I hope it will because I have already converted my dist to it., but atleast there are other options...Jeff

I just picked up a new distributor cap from Advance Auto Parts, its made by Sorensen, its actually made in mexico , its nice quality , shinny black, and has all brass terminals, most of the after-market caps are cheap looking dull black and have the {not good for performance} some kind of steel terminals. I havent heard back from Accel tech yet on using the opticle trigger. The cap was only 10.00!..... Jeff