SM not receiving data

Good2win22

Recently purchased a second hand SM and powerlogger. Installed in my Limited and connected the normal way through the #5 spot on the analog block. Also connected a MAP reference at the analog block as well.

When key is turned on, SM displays SM 2.2 followed by PL but with no version and then promptly shuts itself off like it's suppose to when there is no signal. Wiggled the wire at the ECM and at the analog block and a couple of times I got a pair of 3 dashes like it was waiting for some info but then it promptly went blank again. Reseated the connector at the ECM and at the analog block but to no avail. Connected the USB to the computer and I get all the info to include the MAP input.

I was going to replace the wire coming from the ECM going to the analog block but haven't been able to find one yet and see if that would fix it. Also thought of connecting directly to the orange wire at the OBD1 connector but didn't know if the SM would work with the 2.2 chip installed, so I haven't done that yet.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

SM v 2.2 is for connection to powerlogger only so it won't read from the ALDL.

It sounds like the PL is isn't connecting to the ECM or the analog block isn't connected to the PL.

If the PL is reading through the USB then it must be the serial cable to the analog block

Yes I meant #7 spot. Found the PS/2 cable. Bought all they had for 2 bucks a piece. I'll update as to the results

that cable is not a PS2 cable, it is an apple serial cable....

the symptom you describe indicates that the Scanmaster is not receiving data. (as others have mentioned). One thing you can check is if any of the chip pins got bent in the Scanmaster when the upgrade was installed.

Othewise, make sure you are connected to the SCM pin on the analog block, and not also connected to the ALDL.

Let me know what you find.

Bob

that cable is not a PS2 cable, it is an apple serial cable....

the symptom you describe indicates that the Scanmaster is not receiving data. (as others have mentioned). One thing you can check is if any of the chip pins got bent in the Scanmaster when the upgrade was installed.

Othewise, make sure you are connected to the SCM pin on the analog block, and not also connected to the ALDL.

Let me know what you find.

Bob

Yes the cable is not PS/2. The lady at the computer store corrected me when I asked for a replacement. New cable is in and I have signal at the Scanmaster.

New confusion has set in. With all working as advertised, I went to update the PL with 3.0. Downloaded the zip file and flashed the PL. All appeared to be good. Turn the key on and SM shows 2.2. PL shows 4.3. Go to PLC and it shows 3.0. At least they're both working now. I'll try to sort that out later as I have data on both the SM and PL and they agree with each other.

PLC and PL are two different things, they wont be the same rev level. PLC=Power Logger Console(what you see and interface with) PL=Power Logger(the hardware attached to your ECM).

PLC and PL are two different things, they wont be the same rev level. PLC=Power Logger Console(what you see and interface with) PL=Power Logger(the hardware attached to your ECM).

I understand the difference between the two acronyms. I was hoping to convey that the scanmaster displays the version as "SM 2.2" and "PL 4.3" and that the powerlogger console displays the version of the power logger as 3.0.

I am also aware that there are different versions of the software for various reasons. Some want a specific enhancement for their vehicle and it has been made possible via a different version. Again, I was hoping to convey that I had downloaded the 3.0 zip and after flashing I expected to see on the scanmaster display "PL 3.0" but instead the scanmaster displayed "PL 4.3."

For me it's a bit difficult trying to locate and decipher the latest version for the powerlogger and the powerlogger console. At the Fullthrottltech website there are driver updates but for what? The powerlogger or the powerlogger console? One sticky entitled "NEW POWERLOGGER FILE FOR SD2 Chip" is actually for the powerlogger console. But where is the latest public version for the actual powerlogger located? I am not a computer whiz but I appreciate and I am grateful for those that are.

I'll be honest, I have a life. I don't follow this on a daily basis. I am not up to date with vendor drama or software versions. I know what I had in my other TR and it worked. Sorry for the rant...