Slicks vs ET Streets

BIGAIR

Boost addict
Currently have ET Streets on the car, best 60' 1.74
I have a set of slicks sitting in the garage that I have not used because I just put studs in the axles. Would it be worth putting the slicks on? Is there THAT much of a difference?

Thanks,
Lee

Probably not at your performance level. Guys are running in the 7's with Drag Radials. At the 10.50 mark, then you can gain, at least in the consistency dept.

Thanks TF,
I was not sure. Was not to excited about goin' to a shop to get the tires taken off then the slicks on. If I could get .2 or so out of it(60'), I'd try it.

i would switch them. even at your level, you will get better 60 foots. you also need to either launch with more boost if your not spinning or get slicks if you are spinning.

Is the car spinning? How much boost are you launching with? Footbrake? E-brake? Tire pressure?

Most ET Streets and ET Drags use the same M5 compound. The only real difference between them are the street legal tread lines and different sizes on the side walls.

One thing I did forget to mention.......I just upgraded to a 70Q trim jb turbo.

I can launch w/ as much boost as I need.
(car has always been good about this) I have tried 5# to 15#, all on footbrake. I usally target 10#, seems to be the most consistent, but, yes, it always seems to spin as it leaves. Have played w/ tire pressure as well, found 12psi works best. I have air bags @ 10psi on DS and 15psi on PS
Other rear end pieces: ATR swaybar, CE lwr control arms (going to adjust those downward to change IC), snubber, 90/10's up front-50/50's out back, front swaybar removed
Things needing to be done: remove front bumper insert, move battery to trunk
What do you guys think? Is my set-up ok, so it must be tires?
TIA

One other thing...Does anyone know what temp. is good to 'warm' the tires to? I do a burnout, son takes tire temp. reading. We have seen 120 to 180 deg. temps. Maybe I need a longer burnout?

My car is fairly slow but I could never get ET Streets to hook very well, also the car seemed to dance more with them than the ET Drags. The ET Drags are better and more consistant for me. I used to 60' in the mid to upper 1.7 range with the ET Streets and I am consistantly in the low to mid 1.6's with the ET Drags.

Hey Royal, I think we met in Pueblo back in '02ish. Does the RM Buick Club still have events?

Guess it's looking like it is time to try slicks.

Any one have any insight on adjustments for my set-up?

Thanks again,
Lee

............ Is my set-up ok, so it must be tires?
TIA

My opinion is that the tires, ET's or Slicks, will make no difference.

You are doing what lots of people do in taking a street car set up, and trying to do what a race car does at the track. :eek:

Your set up and suspension is NOT a good one for the strip for what you are trying to obtain.

With years of setting up my car, makes no difference on my 60's if I use drag radials, ET's or slicks, they are all consistent, and I can hook when many others, even "race" cars cannot. In bracket racing I can do easy 1.4's, and well into the 1.3's when necessary.

Nothing "trick" or expensive about my suspension. HR rear arms and anti-roll bar, stock springs, gas shocks up front, and 50-50's in the rear. The certified cage and frame mods give the required stiffness.

Don't go by the "crowd pleasing" pic in my signature, my web site video shows how it really launches.:D

Sorry, I did forget to mention one VERY important item that is usually not considered in launching/traction, and is not part of the suspension, that would be your torque converter.

This is where the "street mentality" really screws up the works. :eek:

The 2 major problems is have seen with converters in building race TR's for over 20 years, is it is either completely wrong for the build, and/or too tight.

Besides the converter in my car, I have 2 others on the shelf for when needed. :)

We have tried as many a 6 different converters on a car to get the right combination. :confused:

Having done so many cars over the years, we can now get the proper converter very close the first time. ;)

So what do you suggest I do to my setup? Keep what? Remove what?
I know what works for one car probably may not work for another. So how should I adjust MY setup? :confused: Tires aside.

It is not my DD, so I guess I would not mind a 'race car' w/ air conditioning ;)

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with ET Streets.

Try going back to basics first. Remove the airbags and start over.

This was my other GN... (sold in '07)
The upper arms were boxed and had new stock rubber bushings in them. The lowers were aftermarket with poly bushings.
Stock sway bar...no airbags. Stock shocks...
28x11.50-15 M/T ET Street's @ 15psi on 15x7 3.5" BS Welds.

The T-type I had before the GN went 11.15 @ 121 with a 1.64 60ft... on bone stock suspension. stock upper and lower arms, front and rear stock swaybars, etc...

My current GN has the exact same rear suspension. I hope to have a timeslip in the next week or two.

Attachments

• cecil%20112506.jpg
    cecil%20112506.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 511
  • timeslips%20112506.JPG
    timeslips%20112506.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 503
I dont like bias ply tires ET streets. My Car would wonder all over the place in the first 80ft out. I dont think you can beat the MT DR's . When I had the short 26 inch tall 275/50/15's my best 60ft was a 1.55. This was after i drove to another state an all I did was let a little air out :D

suspension mods are lake wood 90/10 front ans 50/50 rear shocks 2 airbags moroso rear trick coils .. Metco adj upper control arms and metco LCA's..
Track prep has alot to do with 60fts also HTH

Picture-518-1.jpg

Picture-518.jpg

I dont like bias ply tires ET streets. My Car would wonder all over the place in the first 80ft out. I dont think you can beat the MT DR's .

Agreed 100%

Although the bias plys hook good, they suck for handling.

I love my drag radials...and will never go back to a bias ply tire on the street.

I know I do need another convertor for this turbo. Thinking a 3600 or so.

Agree w/ the bias ply sway. I tried 10psiand the car felt real squirrelly up top
Usually drive to the track w/ 30psi in them.

2quick2b6- Do you have a part # for the front springs? Wanted some, but hard to go get the car weighed. Did you have to cut coils for ride height?

Nice pics guys!!
Nick, cool video. I saw someone take a tire temp on Dick's run, any input on good temp after burnout?

2quick2b6- Do you have a part # for the front springs? Wanted some, but hard to go get the car weighed. Did you have to cut coils for ride height?

I just have the moroso rear trick coils .... stock coils in the front because i didnt want to have a ride height problem.

I've ran most all of them over the years from pure slicks to DOT slicks to the drag radials...IMO you cannot beat the MT drag radial. I have run as quick as 1.42 with 19psi of air on a 7psi t-brake launch. My suspension setup is nothing fancy either...HR rear sway bar, No Hop uppers, boxed OE lowers, Monroe rear shocks, Koni 90/10 front shocks and no front sway bar....that's it. On just about any track that's got a decent prep the car will short time in the mid-low 1.5's on a 4-6 psi launch. Seems that the more I wear the MT drag radials out, the better they hook with just a small burn out.

Hey Royal, I think we met in Pueblo back in '02ish. Does the RM Buick Club still have events?

I bet we did meet. The club has had a race up in Casper Wyoming and in Sterling Colorado the last couple of years. I haven't gone due to the distance and having to drive my car to the track. I miss the races at Pueblo and seeing a few dozen TR's at one time.