skturbo: Questions about 4th gen swap

RobR

formerly TTA 1387
Steve,
I've been thinking about maybe doing a 4th gen car sometime in the future. The article in GMHTP probably got it going when it came out.

The car would be a street driven car so handling would still be something to be considered. Would you rather use a V8 car as a donor or would the V6 be OK? Have you tried running a 6spd or are they all still automatics? What suspension changes need to done? What about electronics: dash, computer for starters.

Any insight would be appreciated.

A 6 speed would be cool, but unless you are an expert driver an automatic will still beat you. I'd like to see a 4.1L turbo/6speed. Bigger bore same stroke(high end hp). I'd go with a v6 car(the insurance would be less(plus it's kinda a sleeper without and badges on them).

Don't know about the mounts though, The third gen platform is a little less cramped and you can use the GN mounts. On a 4th gen it may be close. You alos may run into hood clearance since the GN mounts sit the engine higher. I remember the article and the doghouse looked quite close to the hood...............

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

IF, big if, this would ever happen, the 6speed would just be for pure fun. Not all out performance. But I used to shift pretty good :)

I had a Spirit R/T and the boost would never move going through the gears :)

Rob; Why would you run a 4spd? Everytime you shift you lose boost! and turbo people dont like that. As for v6 or v8 it does'nt really matter. But you can find a v6 cheaper than a v8. I would look for a cheap v8 Formula. Keep in mind you are going to through out the v8 on big trash day. :D Or find someone to buy it :rolleyes: There are still some tricky things involved with the swap. I make my own mounts,down pipes,intercooler pipes,wiring whatever I need to complete the job. I built that car for Ed Narkin it is a awesome all around car. A killer street car, handler, sleeper, top speed whatever you want it to be. Its alot of fun when you pull away from a Viper or Ferrari on the highway. And see their face :confused:
Very soon I will be installing a buick in a A/C Cobra. I will be making mounts, pipes etc.... Right now I'am finishing up a TTA that will go mid 10s and be driving everyday. They are true muscle cars. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME cars.
Gotta love'em
Steve k.

Pete; As for the mounts. you could use either the GN or the T/A motor mount but the frame brackets would have to be made. As for room in the engine bay. Theres plenty.Eds car got the motor out of my wifes Formula. Her 89' Formula is getting a stage II and will be out soon! But when I was building Eds 93' After I made the mounts I laid a block in there with T/A heads & headers, GN heads & headers, Champion & M&As Everybody fit. My only regret was I did'nt try Stage II heads. But I'am sure they would work.
I keep reading that you could use GN mounts on 3rd gen cars. Not true. Sure it could be done but the engine would sit to high. And the whole assembly would bee at the wrong angle for the drivetrain. As for the dog house on Eds 93' there was plenty of room. That car is easier to work on than a TTA.

Steve K.
P.S. what tire were you running when you ran 12.72?

Yokohama street tires. No slicks or stickies what so ever. That was the second time at the track. It was running way rich down the bottom with the 868's, it now has 50's and is buttoned up. Not running right yet gotta vaccum line off and a trouble code. Still gotta mess with it some before I take it back out. I'm getting a code 42(EST failure) Don't knoiw if it's a wire or the pack is gone. Other than the code and stumbling(iac has to reset along with normal driving parameters until I can set the extender back up............................

Someone had mentioned that the coil pack coul'vd been the culprit behind the hg blowing. Never got a code before though. At least it's not leaking from the intake or hg's. When i first looked at that metal intake gasket I was saying to myself yeah right this isn't gonna leak..............................

I'm very suprised to see no coolant in the oil or valley. The hg looked like a U instead of an O around the cylinder.

Pete; When you get the car squared away you gotta put some real tires on. your 60fts are way off. that car should do 1.60 at least. you would be running 12.0s Also you only get antifreeze when you blow near the water jackets. You have to put a fuel gauge where you can see it at peek boost. All the way down the track. If you have any problems or questions call me. If I'am not here leave a message I will call you right back.

Steve K. :)

Steve, thanks for the reply. As for loosing boost on the shifts, never lift and it won't be a problem :) Or buy a blow off valve. I know performance would suffer at the drag strip but street fun would be what I would be after.

This is just to see what's involved. I know its not a bolt in and go kind of deal. Just wanted to see what else needs to be done.