Should I?

WE4

TBcom Admin /Prayers NYFD/NYPD
I would like some serious input here. I have been approached by several people, including manufactures, regarding me writing a book on the 2004r. In your replies please include why or why not, what you would like to see in one and what you would expect to pay for something like this. Should a video go with ? It would be very technical but understandable by the novice. I kinda have mixed feelings myself about doing this and would like to know what you guys think. It is under "serious consideration".......:D

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

First I will say that I really wouldn't buy a book because I would not plan on needing a tranny book for reference.

I am guessing that this is for a performance tranny.

But if I did, I would expect good pictures of every part. A side by side comparison of the non-TR part along with the TR part. Before and after pics of any modification done. If a modification was done incorrectly a quick explanation of what the symptoms would be, for trouble shooting - I would use this a lot:D. Your personal phone number:D Proper procedures for pressure testing the tranny, Criticle dimensions and tolerances and an exploded diagram of the tranny..... Cost? $10-$15.. Extra video $10.

Seems like a lot of work!

Best wishes!
KS

Bruce,
I believe only experienced transmission shops should even attempt to work on a performance tranny. However, someone with more time than money I'm sure would benifit from your book. Use lots of pictures (proof read etc.) and what KS just described. Many years ago, I rebuilt my 4-speed muncie from a manuel with lots of pictures illustrating instructions. It worked.

my .02

I agree with the two posts so far...The manuals and videos that are available now can generate the idea that anyone can slap a 2004r together no problem. Bruce, you KNOW that I found out the B.S. in that statement!:D After going through what I have and learning what I did in the process, Yeah sure I'd love to see a technical performance book on the 200-4r,showing exactly how all the functions are controlled, performance modifications, etc. What I want to know now isn't how to rebuild a transmission, I want to know how it works and why it does what it does.But as a mass crowd pleaser, I honestly don't think it would sell that well and given the fact of how technical and finicky these trans are, it would generate a LOT of frustration (and business hehheh). However thanks for providing on-line help, and that means MeanBuicks and all the other guys who give advice too.

Honestly...

I have been very hesistant because of all the reasons you guys mentioned have above. I just kinda wanted to convince myself.
Besides ... you all know how I hate to type....:)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

It could be fun if you have the extra time and "desire" but I doubt that it is going to be as easy as just typing and taking pictures.

Best wishes!
ks:cool:

book and video

Bruce,

you're busy enough as it is. where are you going to find time to do this? ah, you're a god sport. we all appreciate you help in the chat and so forth. a book would be helpful with a price of about $20.00 and a Video should cost a bit more bordering on 30. i know you understand what i mean when we put enough time into just answering e-mails and phone calls...let alone writing a book or making a video. take care....

John C.
General Manager
Platinum Motorsports
"Any tires/wheels @ lowest prices guaranteed!"
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->Centerline & American Racing authorized wheel dealer!
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS authorized dealer.
->ATI Procharger authorized dealer.

Bruce,

Other than not having the time, and the sense that your audience would be limited to the transmission repair community, why would you want to "give away" the intellectual property you've worked so hard to attain???

Think IP, IP, IP. It's probably among your most valuable assets.

Good luck!!!

Strike

:D

I agree with what most of these guys are saying. Can you (and your marriage) afford the time and energy it would take to take on a project like this?

Why give away all of your secrets that has taken so much blood, sweat and tears for you to figure out? Unless of course it is going to put SERIOUS amounts of cash in your jeans.

If it was going to turn into a cash cow for you I would say absolutely do it, but I think all it will do is help the other tranny shops out there pad their own wallets from using your secrets and all it would cost them is $20 for a book.

Bruce you know your the man

i think really you need to keep it hush hush for now but maybe consiter it if you plan to retire anytime soon.

it would be alot easier to put together lil things like a pamplet or video of simple things like mods to do to increase shift efficency or just pin point an area such as pump blueprinting but not give out internal secrets so that the guys that only trust your builds will still be loyal and you wont loose building business but maybe a little pump blueprinting jobs but then again even with a video or instructions how many have the equipment and time to try it themselves?

i would blueprint my own pump and pay for your knowledge on them.

i sent you a omni performance check instead of a m/o since i was at the shop anyway.

now how much for you to send me all the details of blueprinting a pump and getting my shifts right ???

take care...RED

LOLOLOL

I have to laugh at these supposed "secrets" . Hell, It is not brain surgery. I have learned one thing on top of all and thats there is a right (and usually very time consuming, which you never recover monatarily wise) way to put together a 2004r and a wrong way to put together a 2004r. You will find that the quality and reliablity of the trans is what the builder puts in. This is true of all the talented guys , Vince, Mike K, Alan,Joey, Eric, AC, Lonnie, Don W, (and whoever I left out) just to name a few. You will find all of the forementioned guys have their own little "secrets" as they say but they are all striving for the same thing. They have all paid their dues too, and put a little bit of their pride in every unit.
As for this book thing, I wasn't thrilled either but I thought I might just throw it out to see. To be perfectly honest (shows how dumb I am) I never even thought of the making money with it part. Not that it would or could but that never was even a thought. I agree it would never prolly pay for itself. That wasn't the point. But like John said..."Like you need anymore to do?"
Man, is that an understatement!!!!.....:D

Thanks guys...:)
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

sorry I mentioned the book thing

Time & marriage I`ll bet you have the energy (just from the way some that have met you descibe you) ,but if you do this book thing you`ll have to take another vacation. Do strengthening part 2 & 3 and so on we`ll be happy, besides we got your Ph.#

Jim

If its just for "fun" or not for $$ I would pick a particular component and do that ONLY. As an example, setting the band properly. How to do this is discussed with all new tranny sales I'll bet!

Wrote up all proper like, I would think this to be several pages in length but still short enough to keep a captive audience.

The "brochure" could be sold outright and sent via mail and/or "dropped in the box" with all bands sold. However, a money maker it is not.

Shawn

I would buy the book...

Yes, I'd buy the book, but I'm also a curious mind (and a mechanical engineer by profession). I honestly believe that your primary customer would be your competition. Transmission shops would show the most interest, while auto enthusiast would shy away from the mysterious workings of the automatic. I believe most "regular old hot rodders" prefer to let an experienced professional tame such a quirky and unforgiving animal.

But, like I said.... I'd buy the book....

Bry

Yes,
I would be very appreciative of a book written by someone I know is capable of doing these blindfolded. I know I would have no issues buying the good parts from you. I would just rather do it myself, because I have the time and want to do it (not to mention frequency). Due to the harshness of our style of usage (Road course, like Sebring and autocross) I want the knowledge to rebuild them, as I am not doubting that I will be doing them frequently. Thanks for considering doing a book like this, Bruce!

-Bob

You should write a book but forget the video. Why?

Books live on and continue to provide hard-working innovators like yourself well-deserved credit. More Chevy folks know or have learned who Smokey is from his book that from any other source.

It should be designed to explain best-practice rebuild procedures with inserted sections describing performance upgrades for each trannie section--the benefit and problem corrected and factory enhancements--such as pump and input shaft upgrades.

Each section could explain how to work around not having the correct trannie tools for the do-it-yourselfer and possibly even how to make your own tools like I've done. Some of us like to work on our own trannies regardless of the time/money equation. G. McCall expresses the only-experts-should-do-it view but gives an example of how he benefited from a manual himself. After all, shipping a trannie across the US for every freshen up can be equally as time consuming not to mention the expense and risk of losing a tranny in transit.

For a good do-it-yourself article look at http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/200rebld.html which gets around the need for special tools.

The shortest section would be the differences between TR and other 200R4s and would provide a long-needed reality check for all the myth surrounding BR-code trannies.

A huge personal business benefit for Performance Transmission would be that each section could be reused as a tech brief that would accompany high performance parts and kits YOU sell and copyright would actually provide you with protections you currently do not have for YOUR ideas not to mention well-deserved credit. You know the old adage, the pioneers get all the arrows and the settlers get the land.

In the long run a book has the potential to save YOU time if those with your phone number would purchase and refer/use the book.

My next post will ask about valve body mods and we both know that it is only realistic for you to only partially reply since it depends on type of car, its intended purpose and the valve body and plate that I'm starting with. A book could have virtually ALL the required information.

As for the competition--other shops, anything that improves the reliability and increases the market for 200R4s will benefit the entire TurboBuick community--the 700R4 is the preferred OD trannie based on actual sales numbers and the 200R4 is just beginning its swoon into obsurity. Major suppliers, Sentinel for one, recently quit stocking essential hard parts like the forward drum and others will follow as 200R4 parts become classified as slow moving. Y'all better get yourself a backup 200R4 soon or you may find out what an expensive hassle trying to locate NOS parts can be. If I understand the Federal regulation, GM is no longer obligated to manufacture parts for the 200R4.

For the above reason, the book should also provide conversion information--such as using the 200R4 in S-10 V-8 conversions and heavy chevies. If the hotrod community knew that with YOUR forward clutch drum the 200R4 is a better choice than the 700R4 they might use more 200R4s.

I do not know which manufactures have approached you but they may already have 3/4s of the photos, drawings and standard text. The earliest GM shop manuals used pictures and the latest use illustrations but the ATSG THM 200 4R is the best single manual on the subject. You could also do a manual that refers to one like ATSG's for the basics but that might require an orneous contractual agreement.

As for how 200R4s operate, no offense all, but few will ever fully "get it" and the GM book Princples of Operation already provides that information if you REALLY want to know. Too much information for me! How many really understand how computers and the Internet actually do what they do? What is important is putting it together right and having a trouble shooting guide to diagnose problems.

Good editors can make writing a technical manual far easier than you might imagine.

As for videos, they are too expensive to make and most never escape their shrink wrap. Also, how many techs have a VHS or DVD player and a TV in the shop? A few good photos of items that do not lend themselves to diagrams would serve the same purpose and be "portable" for all techs.

I'll buy one! Manuals typically cost around $20 which means you would get less than $10. Not exactly a recipe for riches but you already give freely of your time and expertise so what would be different? No cherry there!

Finally, Bruce, thanks for your response to my "Pump Modifications" post. If I had the book I would've known. What some know and others don't is that that post request only asked for about one-third of the pump mods needed on an older-code pump. A book should have them all covered.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

good debateable topic. unfortunately the 200-4r is no longer in 2days market which is a bummmer bigtime and prettymuch just in the g-body arena. kind of a small market too make a book/video for. i mean your stuff is the stuff dude no mistake about that but more importantly you put the customer satisfaction behind it which few will. i cant say i no everything you do in your business, but i understand that the 200 4r isnt the only thing you know but specialize in from a performance perspective. i hate to have to say it but i think it maybe a flop. writting is very time consuming, but a few articles in some popular magizines (hot rod super chevy ect.) about the misconcetions of a 200 4r or perfomance upgrades of other trannys may be needed. i think u'd blow some socks off. or do periodical articals as your technologly futher develops. or better yet create a magizine:D

Well....I have decided..

I am putting up a new website for PTS in March and we have decided to make it technical. We will be redoing and expanding the Strengthening the 2004R post. It will be neat!!!
The new edition of this post will be done and up in beginning of March. With pics and complete details it will be a thing of work.
I know it will be more informative and in mega detail with pics when PTS's new site comes up. I will post it here first tho....hehehehe. and.. thank you all for the replies, more are entertained..:)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

new info.

Bruce, that is GREAT ! now maybe you won't have to answer 10,000 phone calls and day. hey, maybe your phone bill will go down too....wooohoooo! don't put too much on your plate bro'...we already appreciate the stuff u do. take care....

John C.
G.M.
Platinum Motorsports

I have to disagree with the group that you shouldn't do the book. I think you should.

A good technical book on these tranny's would be an invaluable asset to anyone using this trans. Even if all it did was sit on a self. At least when you get your trans built even if it comes from the author you will have a better appreciaton as to why it costs so much or why something was done.

Lets face it. GM no longer makes this trans. The population of big motor huge horsepower enthusiasts is getting older and fewer. Sooner or later the 4 banger lawn mowers are going to take over. We can debate this all day but look at Hollywood. The last couple of years how many big motor muscle cars have been destroyed? Its a plot I tell you...... OK, we are getting off track.

What I'm trying to say is how much longer and in what demand is this trans going to be. You already give out all of your advice for free. Why not put the common problems in an easy to read book and deal with the headache once. Then when someone calls for a question you can easily sell them a book with pictures worth more than trying to remember what you said over the phone.

You already sell us a guage setup to test tranny pressures before you start diagnosing anything. Why not sell a book as well. It will help greatly with having something to reference while working on someones problem over the phone.

I'm sure if you took a poll to see how many of the people out there that use this trans do most of the work themselves or would like to do the work themselves. You would probably find they would love to do more but are scared, do to lack of easy to read information. I know I am.

Hope this helps you reconsider. Maybe not ask the question if a book should be written. Maybe you should take a yes/no poll as to how many people would like to repair there own transmission or build there own high performance transmission?

Price I can't say. I paid $80 for a pressure guage I probably will only use once. But it turned out to be the best investment I've done so far with my car. It cleared up a huge problem and is keeping my trans guy honest. A book that would make me more knowledgeable about why? Would really put a wrinkle in his parade.

Take Care and good luck.