Should I stay or should I go?

Jack Parl

"Inherited an 82 turbo Regal Sport Coupe. The car has zero rust , all original runs & drives.
To restore and repair properly would be about 5 grand plus a 5 grand paint job. I got a lowball offer of $2000.00 to sell it. Dissapointing. What u guys think?
1377658515599.jpg

IllhaveaV6

It's a 31 year old car that's been sitting for a while. It needs body bushings not to mention suspension work. I say this in general because of the age. It's one of the last draw through cars and they aren't always accepted for what they are. Have you checked NADA or Hagerty to see what they're valued at now? If you want to sit on it you will find the right buyer but it may take a while. This is the exact car Cooper was looking for so if you're close enough the 2 of you may be able to come to an understanding.;)

If that thing takes 10 k to restore properly then Im in big trouble lol

You'll be in trouble by the time you're done.;) I've done a lot of my own work, and including buying the car I probably have $5K in mine right now and it's still not complete enough to run and drive.:eek: Engine will cost me at least $5K and tranny will be about $2500. Not including paint and interior so it will add up faster than you think.:(

I will shoot more pics and post.Car located in Maryland. Have original window sticker, owners manual, etc. Always garaged. Everything is original.
I'm very disapointed of an offer at 2k. #1986 of only 2022 built.
So its not black. Not a 87 GN.
:( Has been in fam:(ily last 20
years . Ever feel like we get no
respect? :(

IllhaveaV6

It took a long time to get respect on the board because of what Aj and I were trying to accomplish. After being here since 07 we've at least got some interest and respect for our cars.;) Mine's not done and not the normal B4black build and I hope I can get it into the 10's or at least low 11's.:D

That car looks great! How could it need $5,000 worth of work? Don't do a concours restoration, juts fix it up nice, drive it here & there and enjoy it!

You're right, it will never by worth the same as a '87 GN, but so what? Still a very cool and good looking car. Fix it up for yourself, not what others think it's worth. I enjoy my '83 T Type. When I take it to the track, I love the confused look on people's faces when they see under the hood.

I don't think these cars are that expensive to restore. Actually, because of the '87 GNs and G-body in general, a lot of the parts are easy to find.

What work does it need?

New 160 degree thermostat, A/C compressor about to go, Power steering just started make loud noise. Engine & Turbo should be checked by expert tuner, Still original factory parts and settings.Headliner , small rip in Drivers seat .Needs small dents , few scratchs repairs , then a great high quality paint job. ( Had amateur repaint of hood &roof about 15 years ago. The car is tight! Never been raced or abused , great fun to drive.Factory dual exhaust rumbles nice! ! ;)

IllhaveaV6

You'll be in trouble by the time you're done.;) I've done a lot of my own work, and including buying the car I probably have $5K in mine right now and it's still not complete enough to run and drive.:eek: Engine will cost me at least $5K and tranny will be about $2500. Not including paint and interior so it will add up faster than you think.:(

Lol Im looking at getting mine running but I will be happy with upper 14's or low 15's
Ive already found all sorts of junk I need just need a few more $$$$

That car looks great! How could it need $5,000 worth of work? Don't do a concours restoration, juts fix it up nice, drive it here & there and enjoy it!

I don't think these cars are that expensive to restore. Actually, because of the '87 GNs and G-body in general, a lot of the parts are easy to find.

What work does it need?

All the exterior stuff seems really cheap minus finding emblems
Interior not bad either unless your trying to color match. Then it may be a little more difficult to find the correct color.
at least thats what Im seeing

New 160 degree thermostat, A/C compressor about to go, Power steering just started make loud noise. Engine & Turbo should be checked by expert tuner, Still original factory parts and settings.Headliner , small rip in Drivers seat .Needs small dents , few scratchs repairs , then a great high quality paint job. ( Had amateur repaint of hood &roof about 15 years ago. The car is tight! Never been raced or abused , great fun to drive.Factory dual exhaust rumbles nice! ! ;)

IllhaveaV6

Aw, that's just minor stuff. ;)

Here's what I would do. Get the following: 1982 Buick Shop manual (cheap on ebay), OTC Monitor Scan Tool (again, cheap on ebay) and a boost gauge. With these,you will be able to assess how well the car is running. There are no experts tuners for thse cars, but they really are not that different than a non-turbo V6. The electronic carb will confuse most of today's mechanics, but it usually doens't need to be messed with. The scan tool will tell what all the sensors are seeing. Not all sensor probems turn on the check engine light. Boost gauge will tell you what's up with the turbo.

Once you confirm it's running right, they you can play with performance. Gotta crawl before you can run. ;)

Try changing the power steering fluid. Often the noise if due to water absorbed in the fluid.

I'd also get the larger sway bars off an '87 GN. They really improve handing of an '82. There is lots of cool stuff you can do without dumping a ton of money in the car. You have a great foundation to start with a rust free car. :)

ALL good ideas from a great forum. Thank you guys, feel better about my car. Guess I got a complex from seeing all the high end GNs & GNXs in the GN forum. We are a smaller group also do to age of cars and lower production #s. The 81-83 Regal did dominate Nascar! I suggest we "boost" interest and continue to share knowledge by keeping this forum Lit Up!
thank you all
1377699708576.jpg

IllhaveaV6

As Rich said, it shouldn't cost to much to make it a driver. The big thing is it's in good enough condition to maybe spend $1000 or so on parts and mods and have a really nice driver. Body bushings and suspension bushings as well as check all the rubber throughout the whole car, along with a thermostat, plugs, a DIY alky system that Rich explains on his site, and maybe change all the fluids. If you're not trying to build a track car or a wild build then it shouldn't really cost that much.

This car could easily be made into a great driver and a badass looking car. You could add GN or ttype rims as well the front air dams and have a car that would look like a ttype or a limited turbo and most people (non-TR owners) probably wouldnt suspect that its a hot air car. Maybe even black out the trim with a couple dollars worth of paint. Still a very cool car to be driving around in. and does it have a pop up sun roof?