Should I put in a new oil pump?

frdstang93

I recently discovered that the GN that I got a couple of weeks ago needs a head gasket swap so I am going to yank the whole motor to do some cleanup and inspection (oil pan gasket, front and rear seals, etc.) for my own peace of mind. While I have the motor out is it good practice to go ahead and replace the oil pump and if so what pump should I use?

Thanks in advance

If there isnt any scoring and the gears look good no need to change it. Whats the hot idle oil pressure?

I am going to say its somewhere in the 20's but I wont say that I am totally confident in the guage that is in the car.

if you have not already pulled the engine then verify the oil pressure with a known good mechanical gauge. If it is out then inspect the plate and gears for scoring...if none you should be fine with a good cleaning however it is already apart a freshening up kit are pretty cheap for peace of mind .

Like everyone else said, probably don't need a pump. But if your going to take it off, this would be the time to blueprint the cover.

Do Earl Browns oiling mods for the cover. He shows how to do the oiling mods and it works so well you don't need to go with a HV set up.

if you have not already pulled the engine then verify the oil pressure with a known good mechanical gauge. If it is out then inspect the plate and gears for scoring...if none you should be fine with a good cleaning however it is already apart a freshening up kit are pretty cheap for peace of mind .

So I got the front cover off and the oil pump apart, can you guys give me some pictures of what is acceptable on the gears and what is not?

A new oil pump is cheap,so if there is any doubt replace it. Check the pick up tube and timing chain and gears also. Check the front cover for any galling where the oil pump gears are housed. Me personally on a 22 year old car I would put all new parts in,but thats me.

Buy 1 of Earl's gennie, GM pumps/ft covers, and be done. Aftermkt pumps can be a crapshoot....
While U R in there, check the crank endplay, and the condition of the lifters.

Here ya' go:

Blue Printing Oil Pump

Oil pump setup is absolutely critical with our cars... if the idle pressure is good (20 ish) and goes up 10 psi for every 1000 rpm, and everything looks ok visually, don't mess with it unless you are prepared to RE-set it up PERFECTLY... JMO.. :)

Buy 1 of Earl's gennie, GM pumps/ft covers, and be done. Aftermkt pumps can be a crapshoot....
While U R in there, check the crank endplay, and the condition of the lifters.

Where does one buy Earls gennie GM pump/ft cover setup? Thank's.