SHOULD I PANIC about torque specs?

SITHV6

Move against the Jedi 1st
Came back from shop yesterday and mechanic buddy said he torqued mains at 100 and rods at 40, he said he was following what his computer manual was telling him. its a 109 with STD clevite77s and all billet mains. Engine spins by hand snugly with a wrench with everything connected. are the torque specs ok for daily and strip combat? TIA

specs look correct...more importantly, what were the clearances on the bearings? If he built it loose like a SBC, you're in trouble.......

STD clearances?

specs look correct...more importantly, what were the clearances on the bearings? If he built it loose like a SBC, you're in trouble.......

The Crank that got scored was originally was cut for .010, and when the idea that I wasnt getting the oil pressure i needed with my specs...I grabbed my spare stock crank, had it polished, and put back in the STD size bearings. I specifically asked my clearances be .002-.0018, hope they listened.

Suggestion- before you go fiddling around with the short block, get ahold of the maching shop, and ensure that the specs asked for were complied with. Easiest to double check now, rather than later.

*sweatdrops...*

Suggestion- before you go fiddling around with the short block, get ahold of the maching shop, and ensure that the specs asked for were complied with. Easiest to double check now, rather than later.

Ack!! Well, the motor itself is still a fresh rebuild...prior failure was when the timing cover warped and took out the oil pump. All I had the shop do was polish my spare factory crank and replace the .010 worn federal mogal bearings with STD clevites and new G-bodyparts HV timing cover. Engine is ready to start dropping in today...looks like I should be ok and dont have to panic...yet.*searches wallet for AAA PLUS card*

Did you install the front cover, or did the machine shop? Was the front cover blueprinted/checked for flash in the passages? Who set up the oil pump?

Not trying to burst your bubble, but you want to measure twice, and cut once.

Pete
Graduate- school of hard knocks!

hmmmmmmm....

Did you install the front cover, or did the machine shop? Was the front cover blueprinted/checked for flash in the passages? Who set up the oil pump?

Not trying to burst your bubble, but you want to measure twice, and cut once.

Pete
Graduate- school of hard knocks!

the machine shop that first got a hold of the motor blue printed and balanced the block and rotating assembly but prolly never saw the timing cover. The shop that has it now is putting everything together. I should be ok...if not, I'll get to post yet another horror story with pics! weeeeeee!!!

...... its a 109 with STD clevite77s and all billet mains. Engine spins by hand snugly with a wrench with everything connected. ............

Were the mains bored correctly and align-honed?
If the caps were bored at 100 ft/lb torque on the bolts, that is what they need to be assembled at. There are some reports of machine shops not boring the caps correctly. Personally, I would get that verified. Best of luck.

the machine shop that first got a hold of the motor blue printed and balanced the block and rotating assembly but prolly never saw the timing cover. The shop that has it now is putting everything together. I should be ok...if not, I'll get to post yet another horror story with pics! weeeeeee!!!

....and you'll be pissed off enough that you'll want to seel your Buick for 2 bucks! Take off the timing cover, and check it- take you about 20 minutes. Look up earl's timng cover recipe on this site, and take the time to blueprint the cover.

You won't be sorry!

There should not be any binding when turning the crank. Why were the old bearings worn out? Maybe you have some out of round bores/rods. Verify everything before you start it including the timing cover clearance at the pump.

SOUNDS familar...

Were the mains bored correctly and align-honed?
If the caps were bored at 100 ft/lb torque on the bolts, that is what they need to be assembled at. There are some reports of machine shops not boring the caps correctly. Personally, I would get that verified. Best of luck.

If my memory serves me correctly, MESA Machine shop here in Miami said they were familiar with the Turbo Buick motors and even informed me that the align-hone and bore "was off" and they "touched it up", considering i was never peering over their shoulders at the time...I can only trust they did a decent job. AS for what they torqued the mains down to when they did it, I'm at a loss. I'll look up this timing cover recipe right now THANKS AGAIN!