Should I paint my bumpers?

roballmighty

First let me explain the situation Im in. I just bought an 85 regal limited and want to build a GN clone and im having a very hard time finding parts here in Houston Tx and im on a tight budget and shipping on big items is kind of pricey! Now I was thinking I could cut some cost on the bumpers by painting them since they are in great condition but I dont know were to start on tackling that project.
Do I get them blasted, sanded or what other way is there to remove the chrome and what other prep is there to this or am I just wasting time trying to this.
Thanks and sorry for the long post.:biggrin:

Thanks sounds pretty easy to do I actually was going to keep the chrome since they are in very good condition but I want to get rid of all the chrome and build a GN clone in white instead of black.Thanks again for the quick replies I have many more ?s but Ill save those for later on.

the fiberglass bumpers crack if you look at them funny ...not very safe.

i had a girl sit on my bumper and break it in half ...and she was a little spider booty girl too!

i would dechrome and paint the bumpers you have. it would make no sense to start off with a pair thats less clean

Yeah sure she was,:biggrin: What the hell is a spider booty? I thought you had arachnophobia?

Go to the junk yards and get a pitted one and re-do those? Just a thought.

Keep your good ones in case you don't like the outcome.

Dannyo

Well I guess that rules out fiberglass! I will just go with painting my metal ones. Danster I think I might look for some at the junkyard and try those out first. Plus I can sell mine off and get some money back. Thanks for all your help guys:biggrin:

Took mine to a place that chromes bumpers and had them chemically dipped to remove the chrome. Primed with epoxy primer, then a sand able primer, base coat & clear.

Attachments

• Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 143
Man I love those White GNx cars !! anymore pics?

Yes there are a few more pictures in my progress thread down a few post on this page…Titled “Finally in paint after 1.5 years”. The car is not done but it’s getting closer.