Should I go Turbo LS?

LS or turbo 6?

• Total voters

Joe Whitney

I have already built a turbo LS car was a 71 Nova, working on my Second a 78 Malibu Wagon have it for a couple years just finally getting around to it and also currently collecting parts to convert 1970 C10 with A/C and a 4L65e trans. I love the power and reliability of LS engines just Kind of feeling that it would be sacreligous to pull a good running turbo six Buick from my Buick and put in a Chevy engine, just recently purchased the car it is an 84 T-type so hot air nothing really special. Have been wanting another turbo Buick for over a decade, finally got one and now am considerring cutting it up. I just know how much work it takes to make a hot air car fast and dependable as my first one was an 84 GN that I bought when I was 16 back in 97. Was a t-top car, leather interior and concert sound loved that thing, switched it all over to 86-87 stuff back then was way cheaper. Now with parts getting harder to come by and having an extra LS engine laying around just seems like a smarter alternative. Input would be appreciated guys.

Looks through this section,you"ll find your answers pretty quick. Hot air's do take more money and time to go faster then the 86-87 set ups. But alot of people like the challenge. Only major problem I hear coming up with the turbo ls, is the fab work for turbo and headers. Some may say why tear up a perfectly fine GN, Well bc YOU want to. Or you can always find a nice N/A regal out there for cheap..

Im kicking the idea around. With the money I have in 6 cylinder parts I could sell them and have a pretty nice set up. Im thinking about the reliabilty and the longevity of the engine. The 6 wont last as long. My concern is the ac system. can it be used? I have a line on a 6.0 so I think I will get anyway.

That is the big kicker with me i would do a LSX in the GN but want to keep the A/C most that have done it took it out plus all the pipe work needs fabbed! But on the flip side i hear the LS is more dependable,cheaper to build and can make stupid power!
Chris

There are many options for keeping a/c and having lines made is fairly inexpensive or can buy the crimping tool and make them yourself and this company http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_ac.html allows you to set compressor up top and use factory accessories. Have already ran the piping gauntlet before on my other builds usually just use a universal piping kit and cut the piping to fit then just run a bead with the spool gun to barb the ends. Nice part about the regal is there is so much realestate out front to mount an intercooler, unlike my Malibu and Nova those took an act of congress to get it to fit! The expensive part is if you stay with an overdrive trans because a used 4L80E used is about $800 and then about another $2500 to get it built to handle the power and a good convertor.

I am not concerned with the placement or lines for the a/c just clearance for the downpipe to get by the box and try and keep the wheel wells. As far as trans go it would cost the same amount to build a billet 2004r. Hoping someone else does one with a/c so i can see the finished product!

It's possible to get the AC to work, but I think you'll have to chop on the front crossmember to get the compressor to fit.

The "A/C" I am going with in my turbo LS GN will involve rolling the windows down and hitting the gas :D