should i do the heads/cam/ported intake?

turbogreg

really debating whether or not to open my motor and do a set of heads, the cam, and ported intake. basically it's another what do you think my car will dyno at thread with and without the other goodies. my goal is dipping into the high 10s and keeping it very reliable enough to go back and forth from nj to ct ( 1 hr & 30 min drive) whenever i'm in the mood for school. my current mods are: 3'' turboregal customs downpipe with dump, 2.5'' hooker catback, 3'' MAF pipe with 9'' k and n, lt1 MAF/translator, rjc powerplate, rjc FMIC, 340 walboro hotwired, 60lb injectors, Razor's Progressive Alky Kit, dual fans w/ switch, built hi-po trans from Dynotech with 3400 l/u stall, eaton posi, Nitto 555r's, GT6152E Turbo, TurboTweak Alky chip for my mods, both sides breather kit, hallman mbc, all the gauges.., scanmaster 2.1, adjustable fpr, front frame brace kit, and i'm sure i'm missing a few things. gonna order a H&R rear sway bar next week as well. It's a t top car with 53k original miles, runs very well. pulled my buddies 360whp/370trq Evo when i was only on 18 psi with the new turbo and old chip which made the turbo extremely laggy compared to the new chip. if i finished up the suspension and threw on a set of slicks is it possible to dip into the high 10s? i know depends on alot of things but will i probably be stuck in the low 11s? the car will NOT be getting a cage anytime soon. ha, i also have an off the bat weight reduction, i'm a skinny guy so that always helps. the heads i'd do would probably just be ported irons, ported intake, and really not sure on cam selection yet. any suggestions? i really want to hit the 500whp/550+trq number with the gt61.

Greg

Greg,
I have been down your road before. If it were me...
I would stick with the stock heads and cam untill you have a problem with headgaskets. With the alky kit you have you will be able to turn the wick up quite a bit and have fun. Bottom 11`s are now pretty commonplace these days with unopened motors. :eek: Enjoy it, with enough driving and seeat times, who knows maybe you could see high tens unopened as well!
Stick it out, you will be happy you did.
Just my $.02. But, I am a little more conservative than others.
Brian

If you can get the weight down to under 3500lbs with driver id think high 10's should be very attainable at 25-27psi.

Looking at your combo, you pretty much already have what you need to squeak into the 10's. Just turn up the boost. ;)

thanks, i think so too. ordering up some of those "trick rear springs" from moroso, the h&r rear sway bar, rear seat brace kit this feb. not 100% sure which tire and wheel setup i want to go with yet. i like the nittos on the street so will keep those on with the stock rims. for the track was thinking draglites or prostars. i see m/t came out with drag rims, maybe that with a set of their et streets... going to have the car weighed and throw it on the dyno in march so i'll post the numbers. i have a feeling i'll get the boot for lack of cage before i hit that high 10 but we'll see.

just ordered the H&R rear sway bar! just need to get the control arms and rear seat brace, strap on some better tires and hopefully can dip into that 10 sec range. will post times next month when i crank up the boost and put it on the dyno.

Greg

just ordered the H&R rear sway bar! just need to get the control arms and rear seat brace, strap on some better tires and hopefully can dip into that 10 sec range. will post times next month when i crank up the boost and put it on the dyno.

Greg

Make sure you have a good handle on the tune before you crank up the boost..... plenty of fuel.... start with conservative timing.... 23/21 ..... and work your way up on the boost...23....25...27.... then up the timing to 25/23 or so.... then start leaning it down....watching for knock.... should have 0 knock ... maybe a couple degrees at the shifts.....should take you many many passes to work your way up.....10's are a stretch..... but entirely possible with stock heads....

not too much tuning i can really do. running the turbotweak chip and lt1 maf translator. also have the alky kit so fuel shouldn't be a problem, gonna turn it up to 24 this weekend(currently at 20) and see how it runs. low 11's/high 10s doesn't make a difference to me. car's 99.9% street driven and i like it that way. going to go with the mickey et streets and keep the nittos on my stock rims. don't really need a full out slick if i'm only going to run at the strip a few times plus the mickeys i can still take out on the street in the dry weather. gotta figure out which control arms to go with and should be good to go. ha headgaskets go, can always freshen up the stock irons and throw in a cam :D