Short lived Typhoon

BOBBY263052

Well, the 92 Typhoon I bought on 5-3-07 took a poo on 5-15-07. Twelve days and about 300 miles and it is knocking like crazy. Pretty sure it spun a rod bearing. Now I'm looking at lots of money for a rebuild. Sure wish it could have held up a little longer than that but oh well. What can you do, right? Should have stuck to my trusty Fords. lol

Bobby

Well, the 92 Typhoon I bought on 5-3-07 took a poo on 5-15-07. Twelve days and about 300 miles and it is knocking like crazy. Pretty sure it spun a rod bearing. Bobby

It was most likely GONE whaen YOU bought it, maybe the seller used the Sawdust trick to hide the knock - Who knows - either way those motors are JUNK, they were never meant for a Turbo anyhow, couple of Overboosts and BAM - New motor time, they Never blow headgaskets, due to the better bolt pattern, only Piston Ring lands, and Spin bearings....

Anyone had any experieces with Jasper engines? Might be considering sending them my block to have it rebuilt.

There is a wrecked Syclone in my storage lot that has 37k original miles. It has already had an engine replaced. Those trucks are cool and fun to drive, but they don't hold up like the Buicks.

the trucks were discontinued 3 months after the last one was built. gm couldnt do warranty work on them either, unless they could find parts from napa or lee or other part stores.

well that sucks

i almost bought a $12,000 typhoon 2 yrs ago when I was looking for a daily driver, after a lot of reading I chose to stay away from them and got my Avalanche instead

go on the syty board and ask them who should rebuild it in your area and how you should have it built.better off have somebody experienced do it.i haven't heard anything wonderful about jasper engines.

I'm currently looking into having Mike Christianson build the engine for me. He is local, has rebuilt several Syclone/Typhoon engines and is known for building pretty stout GN engines.

That sucks...

That's terrible... Man....

I had to build the engine in my wife's Typhoon. It's not cheap to build a stout 4.3L but it's worth it when it's all done.

I've got a .61 ball bearing turbo ready to go on and a set of 65lb/hrs.

Now that code 59 is public I can say I'm running that with all of

Welcome to www.moates.net! : Moates.Net products. The Sy/Tys have a much better ECM system

Than the buick's but they don't have the safty of a weak head hold that

saves the bottom end as Mr86Ttype mentioned. When it detonates it takes

the bottom end out. :(

I think the wife has 7000mi on the build... it's sweet. 4 bolt splayed coversion,

Eagle rods/nitrated crank, L35heads with 2.02/1.6's and alot of chamber work.

Front mount IC ect ect....

Nothing like a built Sy/Ty launching It's wicked :biggrin:

Good luck.. need any advice/help give me a e-mail anytime,

Scott~

UR50SLO@aol.com

frontengine.JPG

Some guy's go to Jarrad... not me~

This was the mother's day gift to my wife :biggrin:

Who would think a hood is better than a ring?

TyphoonRamair1.JPG

~Scott

UR50SLO was your underhood pic in a GM High-Tech mag ? I was going to buy a Syclone before I bought my GN. I started doing some research and found out that you pretty much need to build the engine / trans and transfer case before you can do a decent sized turbo inj mods . I still might buy a Syclone later on but would want it to be low mile and unmoded just to keep an drive on Sundays :biggrin: I bought a Trailblazer SS last yr and love it.

*Note the entire truck will be the orange color soon* thus why I've done the engine bay already.

Yes... That was the picture of the engine bay before the "Paper Clip" incident.

What was not stated in the mag was that the previous owner was trying to

help my wife by locking up the converter with the paper clip. I was in the

stands watching our two boys till she made another pass. When she came

back she said the truck was acting weird after he'd put the paper clip in...

I said what???? :eek: He was trying to help... we didn't get upset and

he helped with the cost of the rebuild. Awsome guy... can't wait to

have fun at this years Sy/Ty nats and NOT win the broken truck award:D

The weak link in the trucks are the 700R4 Transmissions and the stock prop

shaft. The T-Case is very durable. You won't need to upgrade that for a

long time. Front/rear diff are good too 11's to 10's.

Engines when detonated are going to get hurt.

They are not cheap to build up but They are a awsome driver.

The Trail blazer SS are cool man!!! Sweet!!!!
Ps.. let me turbo that :D
TyphoonRamair2.JPG

UR50SLO where did you get that hood? I have been looking for one like that for my 93 blazer but cant seem to find them.

I got mine from a guy who was trying to sell his Typhoon with "extra" parts.

The hood was one of the extras. I e-mailed him and ended up buying the hood

for 300.00. :biggrin:

The website that sells them new is Ram Air Hoods They are selling them for 539.00 from this page I printed out several months ago.
Their phone number is 1-352-468-1562

Hope that helps,
Scott~

Thanks... :)

This is what the intercooler looks like with no grille and bumper on it.

It is two GN intercoolers on top of one another with new tanks. :p

~Scott

Attachments

• Tyfrtmount1.JPG
    Tyfrtmount1.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 637