shock question

sasmith350

i decided to go ahead and get new shocks for the buick when i order the body bushings, trying to decide between the KYB gas-a-just shocks ( mono tube) and the Belltech Nitro shocks (dual tube). belltech are only a couple bucks more thru summit. jsut wondering if anyone had experience with either shock....

KYBs vs Bilstein?

I have to buy new shocks- are the bilsteins worth the $90 premium? They're 239 vs 149 for the KYBs. If there really is a difference I'm willing to pay it but if there isn't a difference then I don't want to waste $90.

sasmith350 said:
as for bilsteins, i've heard they are the best for g-body's but can't justify the extra $100 myself.
I just bought my Bilsteins through Summit for $60ea. You also should be able to order them through Auto Zone (if you have them where you are) for a simular price.

Googs said:
I just bought my Bilsteins through Summit for $60ea. You also should be able to order them through Auto Zone (if you have them where you are) for a simular price.
there is an autozone in town, but the question is, are they worth the extra money or not?and as for that, the edelbrock shocks are the same price at autozone. just looking for the best deal, if i can save $40 and get almost the same quality, i will. but if i need to spend the money....

I've heard good comments on the Eldebrock IAS shocks. I will probably go with these shocks in the near future.

Dannyo

Edelbrocks are even pricier!

The edelbrocks are 69.99 each, so $280 the set.
I did speak briefly with someone at www.shox.com and he seemed to think the Bilsteins were worth the extra $ but I'd rather hear from people whom I KNOW have some direct experience with them and aren't in the business of selling something pricier.

Like I said, I don't mind paying 239 the set of four for the Bilsteins, I just want to make sure that the $90 difference between those and the KYBs is not just name or more colourful wrapper or "reputation" but actual performance. I did see that the Bilsteins have a higher internal pressure and are made of thicker steel, but any input from those who have tried the two products would be useful. I don't want to WASTE $90.

I've used both KYBs and Bilsteins on a variety of vehicles. Both are good shocks, though I think the Bilsteins are a bit stiffer. I've never seen a Bilstein shock that wore out. That said, I currently have KYBs in the rear of my GN (came w/car) and will be putting them in the front as the rears don't need replacing. My Z71 Suburban is getting Bilsteins...

How much stiffer?

Are the Bilsteins very much stiffer? I don't want it to have a very stiff ride or to pick up every pavement irregularity, I had a Catera (the Caddy that sucked) before this and I did not like the ride, I like the better insulated Buick ride. It sounds like I'd rather save the $90. The car is purely a street driven commuter car anyway.

so far it looks like kyb's to save the cash, anybody else have anything good/bad to say about them??