Question about shocks

PRyan

Hi Guys,

I took a few pictures of the underside of my GN late last year when I was getting my old exhaust removed and installing my Pypes cat-back. In the picture below you can see that it looks as if my driver's rear shock is starting to leak so I have added new shocks to my list of parts that will need replacing. I noticed on the passenger rear shock that there is a tube going into the shock. Does this mean I have air shocks on my GN? If they are air shocks, how does this work? How do you add/remove air? I've been doing a lot of reading here and it seems that most either replace their shocks with KYB or Bilsteins. I have found a set of the KYB Gas-A-Justs on sale on highwaystars for $139 and have found the Bilsteins cheapest on Rock Auto for about $255. I'm leaning towards buying the Bilsteins based on the posts I have read here. Sorry for what may be a basic question for most of you, but I am just trying to better understand the GN a little better.

Thanks guys!

IMG_0328.jpg

What you have is a jackboot remote reservoir setup. Not air shocks.

The other end of that nylon line should be going to another reservoir somewhere. Somebody may have rigged that up to pressurize the passenger side and increase the compression resistance to keep the wheel from hopping. They could have done the same thing for 1/3 the price with an air bag in the shock on that side without compromising the shock. Which they've done (compromise the shock).

My recommendation is to pull those and throw them away. You don't know what was done or how they're tuned. Nothing. Finding out will cost far more than a new set.

Bilstein's off the shelf solution is good, but a bit stiff. Haven't used the KYBs. AFCO can do a custom valved set for a very reasonable price if you know the car's weight, spring rates, and what you're going to be doing with it.

Those are air shocks. Look close at the dr side. There'll be an air line to it, too. Most popular place for the charge valve is behind the lic plate/gas door.
Follow the lines to the other end. There should be a Schrader valve there. Maybe 2, if they are set up to allow different pressures, side to side.
I have found a set of the KYB Gas-A-Justs on sale on highwaystars for $139
I just bought a pr of KYB Gas adj from Shock Whse, for $71.00 Shipped.
If your price of $ 139 is for all four, that's about right.

My T had KYB's on it, switched to Bilstiens last year, personally, I'll never run anything else ever again.
But, that's my preference, I like the way the Bilstiens work on my car, KYB's had too much rebound float for me.

Stick with Bilsteins , I replace my OEM shock nearly 20 years ago ,still riding firm. Bilsteins years ago had a unlimited warrranty
that would cover that oil leak if you had proof of purchase and a bilstein vendor installed. I actually used the warranty for oil leak
on D/S front when shocks where only about 5 years old after installation. FYI I notice new tires installed ,If I were you I would
return to dealer and have them remove those hammer on weights and put stick on weights. That looks like awful lot weights on
that wheel.... Just Saying... If you like going fast those weights will probably fly off.

What you have is a jackboot remote reservoir setup. Not air shocks.

The other end of that nylon line should be going to another reservoir somewhere. Somebody may have rigged that up to pressurize the passenger side and increase the compression resistance to keep the wheel from hopping. They could have done the same thing for 1/3 the price with an air bag in the shock on that side without compromising the shock. Which they've done (compromise the shock).

My recommendation is to pull those and throw them away. You don't know what was done or how they're tuned. Nothing. Finding out will cost far more than a new set.

Bilstein's off the shelf solution is good, but a bit stiff. Haven't used the KYBs. AFCO can do a custom valved set for a very reasonable price if you know the car's weight, spring rates, and what you're going to be doing with it.
Thanks Turbo6inKY, I am definitely going to get rid of the existing shocks and this setup. Are you running AFCO shocks? I don't think I've heard anyone mention them previously here on Turbobuick.com.

Those are air shocks. Look close at the dr side. There'll be an air line to it, too. Most popular place for the charge valve is behind the lic plate/gas door.
Follow the lines to the other end. There should be a Schrader valve there. Maybe 2, if they are set up to allow different pressures, side to side.

I just bought a pr of KYB Gas adj from Shock Whse, for $71.00 Shipped.
If your price of $ 139 is for all four, that's about right.
Thanks Chuck Leeper, I just double-checked that the charge valve was not located behind my license plate and it wasn't. I need to do some yard work this weekend, but will make crawling under the GN and locating where this lines go a priority next weekend.

Those KYB's are such a good deal, but I did have them on a 5.0 Mustang I had about 15 years ago that rode pretty stiff. I am pretty sure the stiff ride had to do with the car having lowering springs and a lot of other suspension mods as well!

My T had KYB's on it, switched to Bilstiens last year, personally, I'll never run anything else ever again.
But, that's my preference, I like the way the Bilstiens work on my car, KYB's had too much rebound float for me.
Hi Reapersgbodys, are you racing your T or are you cruising? Just curious in regards to your preference of the Bilsteins vs. the KYB's. I will be cruising my GN and will probably never see the track.

Stick with Bilsteins , I replace my OEM shock nearly 20 years ago ,still riding firm. Bilsteins years ago had a unlimited warrranty
that would cover that oil leak if you had proof of purchase and a bilstein vendor installed. I actually used the warranty for oil leak
on D/S front when shocks where only about 5 years old after installation. FYI I notice new tires installed ,If I were you I would
return to dealer and have them remove those hammer on weights and put stick on weights. That looks like awful lot weights on
that wheel.... Just Saying... If you like going fast those weights will probably fly off.
Buckshot G/N, thanks for the info on the Bilsteins and yes, I will definitely be taking the wheels back to be re-balanced by America's Tire Co which is where I bought the Cooper Cobra tires from a few months ago. I'm a little worried about letting them touch my wheels again. I watched them struggle to try and get the center caps back on until I told them to just leave them and I would take care of it. I bought the car last year with some BFG's on it which looked near new, but the tires were 18 years old. The previous owner had only put about 5,000 miles on the car over that period of time.

Thanks Turbo6inKY, I am definitely going to get rid of the existing shocks and this setup. Are you running AFCO shocks? I don't think I've heard anyone mention them previously here on Turbobuick.com.

Yes, I'm running AFCO. I ran the Bilsteins for 15 years, but my use case sort of outgrew them.
The thing with AFCO is they're a race winning shock, they just don't normally show up in the street car space. But they were super helpful and the turnaround was quick on mine.

Hi Reapersgbodys, are you racing your T or are you cruising? Just curious in regards to your preference of the Bilsteins vs. the KYB's. I will be cruising my GN and will probably never see the track.
PRyan,
My T will never see any track time, cruising and hurting some feeling every once in awhile. Personally, I prefer the stiffer response of the Bilsteins, the KYB's had too much rebound bounce when going over a bump, now its stiffened up, and goes up and down once, then done. I'm installing them on my '84 Grand Prix for this cruising season also. Ill never put another shock on either car, because I prefer the way they make my car ride.

Update - Finally bought the Bilsteins and swapped out the old shocks. I've only had them on for less than two weeks but it's a night and day difference. The Bilsteins definitely keep my GN flatter when turning corners or merging onto the freeway and they actually seem to handle potholes much better than my old shocks. I've read that the Bilsteins can be harsh on bad roads, but I would swear that my car even rattles less when I hit potholes. Here is a picture of my old shocks. Not sure how long they have been on the car, but I won't miss them! Thanks everyone for offering up your thoughts and recommendations.
100_2559.JPG