Ship or drive my Turbo Buick 800 miles

lemonhead

I am considering moving for work and bringing my car by either shipping or driving it from NJ to Atlanta, GA. The entire trip is around 800 miles or so. Got some quotes on shipping and it looking to be around $1100 for an enclosed carrier. Driving, about 13-14 hours and I will be reimbursed for the mileage from my company. They will not pay for shipping. Questions is do you think these cars are fine for long distances/trips like that? Should I stop for a while and take a break midway?

I'd drive it, myself. If you are confident in its state of tune, get out and stretch its legs a little bit and have fun. $1100 saved and mileage money in your pocket. Get somebody to run blocker for ya and just remember that transporting Coors beer east of the Mississippi is bootleggin'.

This time of year. Drive it. But I would leave a few days early...:D

Road Trip!!!!!!

i have driven mine twice to daytona and back. about 350 miles round trip plus driving around daytona while were there.

Im an auto transporter and i say DRIVE IT !!!!!!!! Just remember to bring a few tools and a few parts that arent easy to find everywhere...

I say drive it. But, if you are hell bent against driving it, rent a u-haul for all of your personal property and rent their car trailer and tow the trailer behind your u-haul van. The trailer is only like $50 a day. That saves you $1,050 plus the wear and tear on your Buick.

I say drive it. But, if you are hell bent against driving it, rent a u-haul for all of your personal property and rent their car trailer and tow the trailer behind your u-haul van. The trailer is only like $50 a day. That saves you $1,050 plus the wear and tear on your Buick.
Go get a price quote from uhaul Its $50 a day in town... plus all the fuel you gotta buy you will have rude awakening:rolleyes: besides its not wear and tear most people buy cars to own and enjoy (aka drive) them...

As long as everything on the car is up to par you can drive it far. :biggrin:

Drove mine 1100 miles one way across the country. No issues.

Drove it 450 miles once and another 450 miles back, did have an issue with the charging bulb making bad contact causing the alt. to stop charging. A Caspers field fix harness fixed that.

Go get a price quote from uhaul Its $50 a day in town... plus all the fuel you gotta buy you will have rude awakening:rolleyes: besides its not wear and tear most people buy cars to own and enjoy (aka drive) them...

Agreed completely about the driving part. If it was mine I would have been excited that I have a long trip ahead of me which I get to drive the Buick. Some people don't want to put mileage on the vehicle. They like the 15 mile round trip to the cruise night and thats it.

trip

i bought one 3 years ago site unseen drove from AZ to Mo I took two days didn't want to drive it at night in case it broke down in the middle of no-ware at night with a pocket full of cash.Mine developed a rear main leek and took 20 quarts of oil to get home.lol! If the car would have broke beyond repair then I would have rented a uhaul and trailer and brought it in from there.To me that's how you get to know your car better by taking that trip.by the time i got home i had a list of must fix items.

trip

One other thing if you do ship there is only one company that I know of in-closed or otherwise that will guarantee the inside contends will be there upon arrival.We ship at lease 10 cars a year and have had trouble with cars showing up with extra item that went with the car and never showed up.Extra parts in trunk that sort of thing.know who your dealing with.

I drive my 86 gn as a daily driver and on many occasions I've driven over 200 miles in one day...I'm planning on going to Reynolds, which is 480 miles from here, race, and drive home....hopefully.
A friend of mine who has A TT drove to the track, made 3 or 4 passes and then detuned his car and drove from South Florida to La.. He drives his like it's a normal everyday vehicle. If you don't blast it, it's just a regular V6..... Got your cruise control working??

I'm planning on going to Reynolds, which is 480 miles from here, race, and drive home....hopefully.

I did that last year to Reynolds - 457 miles each way, had a blast rollin' in the GN. I didn't even change tires, drove on drag radials all the way. Got 20mpg too.

Drive it

Mine is my daily driver and I drive it everywhere. Made many trips in excess of 800 miles one way non stop, as long as it's in good running order have fun and make the drive. :cool: