Shifting Issues - Vary from hot to cold

Overdose

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to this site and also new to the world of turbo buicks in general. I have a transmission issue that I don't really know which direction to go with and I wanted to see if anyone here had any suggestions before I pull it out and have it gone through. I've tried searching and searching the forums but I can't seem to find anything similar to this.

I've owned my 87 GN with just over 100k miles for a little over 6 months now. They guy I bought it from said that the tranny had been recently rebuilt with a "stage 3 shift kit" added. However, since I've owned it I've noticed that something seems to be a little off, particularly with the shifting. Recently I've noticed the symptoms also change from when the car is cold compared to when the car is warmed up which has really got me stumped. When it is cold the 1st to 2nd shifts are very jerky, not a quick solid shift like what I'm used to with a shift kit but a whiplash break your neck kind of shift. This shift does not usually occur until about 3000rpm as well (not WOT). The 2nd to 3rd shifts and the 3rd to OD are usually fine with no issues and shifts at or around normal rpm range. However, once the car is warmed up the shift points seem to change and shift much earlier. This specially happens from 2nd to 3rd, once the car shifts to 2nd it almost instantly goes into 3rd causing it to drop rpms and fall on its face . The 1st to 2nd shift seems to have a more normal timing once the car has warmed up but still has that jerky whiplash feeling. This issue does not seem to happen during WOT and the shifts seem to feel pretty normal at WOT. I've tried making multiple adjustments to the TV cable and this has seemed to go both ways, it has either improved it when the car is cold and made it worse once warmed up or vice-versa.

Does this by any chance ring any bells to anyone? Could this be a possible TCC issue? I'm going to drop the pan this week to see if there is anything obvious that I can see. If not, I was contemplating on just pulling it out and having someone go through it.

If anyone has any opinions or feedback it would be greatly appreciated. I'm at a total loss at this point...

Thanks,
Brandon

Sounds like the TCC solenoid. Unplug the electrical connector on the side of the trans and see if it still does it.