Shifter linkage on Grand National

Paul Lohr

I had my mechanic check out a Grand National I was looking at to possibly purchase. He is not an expert on Grand Nationals, that's why I am asking here. When the car was up on the lift, he noticed that the car had the linkage that a column shift car would have - the rod that goes from the frame to the gear selector input at the transmission was in place. He thought a Grand National would only have a cable coming from the floor shifter and nothing connecting from the column. Of course this could raise a question about the authenticity of the car.

I remember older GM cars would have linkage connecting from the column to the rod that rotates in the frame to the gear selector input, even if the car had a floor shifter. These older cars had the shift bowl on the column rotating as the console shifter was moved. Pretty sure this was to interlock the ignition lock cylinder with the shifter. But I don't know if Grand Nationals are the same?

Thanks for any help,
Paul Lohr

So the Grand National would have this shifter linkage connecting the shift bowl on the column to the transmission gear selector?

It is also part of the column lock so it can not be taken out of gear without the key turned to an "ON" position

All perfectly normal. It the biggest pain in the butt part when putting in an aftermarket shifter. If you want to retain your stock backup lights and Park/neutral starting you need to still use this. A little work with a welder on the shifter bracket is needed.

Very good, thank you everyone for your help. Agree with you on the aftermarket shifter installation.

Paul Lohr