Shifter handle install ????

Hendrick SS

I bought a shifter handle from "Buick from Hell" Trying to follow instructions on install. Turned the white center piece up and pushed to see how low it went down(when shifter button would be depressed) and now it won't pop back up. Any ideas?

TIA
Doug

The spring underneath the shifter broke. Usually just the end breaks off and you can bend another hook on the end and re-attach.

How do I get to the spring?

Is the spring located in the "rod" portion of the shifter? How do I access it.

Thanks

It's actually visible underneath the shifter at the bottom. It stretches across under the rod.

Pin removal

I removed that to get the stock handle off. Was that the wrong thing to do? How do I get the white piece to pop back up?

Thanks
Doug

Hendrick,
To fix the white piece, you need to take the console out (if you haven't already). You'll notice how it goes down and then curves back up in the shape of a "J". Well there is a spring that sits underneath the bottom of the "J" that pushes it up into the shaft.
That spring has broken. Most likely you will find the spring connected on only one side still. You need to rig the spring back up so it will stay in the hole on the other side.

Hopefully you'll understand.
It's a piece of cake fix.
;)

Thank you!

DUH! Now I understand. Did you know I was the smartest kid in the 3rd grade 3 years in a row:)

If you havent allready taken stuff apart yet- I might have the easiest fix. I have an incorrect shifter handle on my car- button points the the radio:rolleyes: - and if I take the handle off and play with the white button, it always sticks down. I get mine unstuck by spinning the button back and forth (while pushing down) and while rocking the shifter up and down. I hope that wasnt too confusing.

Hope this helps or maybe I just have a wierd shifter.

Ryan

I'll try this with my wife

Originally posted by Ryan87GN
If you havent allready taken stuff apart yet- I might have the easiest fix. I have an incorrect shifter handle on my car- button points the the radio:rolleyes: - and if I take the handle off and play with the white button, it always sticks down. I get mine unstuck by spinning the button back and forth (while pushing down) and while rocking the shifter up and down. I hope that wasnt too confusing.

Hope this helps or maybe I just have a wierd shifter.

Ryan

Update

I removed the console cover, and the J shaped piece at the end had moved abouy 1/4 in. and would'nt slide back up. Pushed it over and now it is fine:D . Thanks for all the help. This board is truly a great place.

Doug