shift kit ?

mytoy

I installed a transgo shift kit last year. My car ended up shifting softer after the install. Im thinking of buying the SHIFT RECALIBRATION KIT #24RSRK/A from CK. Will this get me back to firm second gear black mark shifts?
THANKS
Matt

As far as I'm concerned the shift firmness from the CK kit is much less than it was from the older Art Carr shift kit I had in. I use to get pretty firm
1-2 shifts that would chirp the tires (which I liked) but now after putting the CK kit in they are pretty mild. Still debating on going back to the old kit. Just
my 2 cents worth.

paul

I have the CK shift kit and servo in my 200 in my GN and I love it. Shifts great even at part throttle. On my car the tires just spin from the top of first and halfway through second gear...

Is your tv cable adjusted properly?

There are thousands of these kits in use.You will not find anything that works better .It is constantly updated and I road test transmissions with the kit every week and always get the same results,perfection at all throttle angles..555 boost valve and new seperator plate standard in every kit.There are 3 settings for the 1/2 and 3/4 shifts based on engine and converter combo.

I have the CK shift kit and servo in my 200 in my GN and I love it. Shifts great even at part throttle. On my car the tires just spin from the top of first and halfway through second gear...

Is your tv cable adjusted properly?

mine does that and it's stock lol! TV cable has a lot to do with it. Double check the fluid also. From what I've read on this forum and other forums, the ck kit is the way to go in these transmissions.

I have used the CK shift kit several times, I have always gotten good performance from it. I have never tried the Art Carr kit, I hear its pretty aggressive. I never really liked the Transgo kit, they are pretty conservative in my opinion.

I would like to know if I did something wrong with the install. I use to have a really firm 1-2 shift that would chirp the tires with the old AC kit. After putting in the CK kit the shifts are just not that firm even though it works ok. I checked the pressures and called Chris with them and he said they were excellent so that is not the problem. What should I expect out of this and how can I tell if there is something wrong or maybe it is operating the way it should.

paul

Art carr uses a orfice instead of a check ball IIRC,CK uses stiffer spring and stock check ball. IIRC the Art Carr shifted harder 1-2 than ck but I did not mind the change. Block the 1/2 accum and the shift will firm up. All kits are different as well as installers and condition of trans interals.......

Steve, what does IIRC stand for? I did leave the orifice plug in but I drilled it out to a larger hole than what it was? Could this have caused the difference?

paul

If I remember correctly=IIRC

You need to completely remove the plug or get a new housing. *IF* the cup plug is still fairly small and you reisntalled the checkball a shop shift would be possible. If you are after a hard shift just block the hole entirely,a firm shift do the above procedure.

Latest update to the kit includes accumulator plugs and we also have a full accumulator delete plate availabe.Iposted pics a while ago no one seemed interested so we didnt add to the kit.Good thing is we have seen improved pressure controls with this delete plate and the accompanying seperator plate that can be used with it.It kills 4 other circuits pertaining to the accumlator valve in the valve body.Reduces circuit blledoffs etc.Real nice improvements.We use it in every trans we build.Eventually this stuff will be carried over to the recal kit,

Steve, what does IIRC stand for? I did leave the orifice plug in but I drilled it out to a larger hole than what it was? Could this have caused the difference?

paul

Drilling out the orifice plug made it shift soft, block the 1/2 accum. hole and it will firm up nice.

Ok, can I leave the CK kit as it is and just install an orifice cup with a smaller hole? It sounds like if I remove the drilled out cup the accumulator hole will be larger and the 1-2 shift will be softer? I'm trying to make sense of this. Please advise. Thanks

paul

Ok, can I leave the CK kit as it is and just install an orifice cup with a smaller hole? It sounds like if I remove the drilled out cup the accumulator hole will be larger and the 1-2 shift will be softer? I'm trying to make sense of this. Please advise. Thanks

paul
Are you sure you reinstalled the 1/2 check ball? You can do what you suggested but you are combining 2 shift kits to get the desired result...that's ok too.

Steve, where is the 1/2 check ball go? Is it one on the separator plate? I will look for the check ball. But what if it is installed, what else can I look for? Should I go back to the small orifice cup in the accumulator? BTW, I also have both springs installed in the accumulator which made it pretty tough to compress and bolt together.

paul

You need to look at the directions on the shift kit install CK shows where all the balls should go,case and valve body. Install all parts per the CK shift kit and undo everything Art Carr double/tripple check...if the result is still the same block 1/2 accum by tapping a checkball into the channel. If shifts are still soft the it's internal and not shift kit related.