Shift Kit ID

silverfrostlsc

Hi all
I was wondering if there is a way to id what shift kit is installed in my trans, if any. I just bought the car and have no history. The valvebody is out getting new gaskets and a general checkover. It was shifting poorly at times and very nice others. It seems like it might have a shift kit. Also it won't shift at WOT with the tv cable adjusted properly. I did have a gasket blown out around the accumulator housing. The valves seem to move freely. I was just wondering if there were any telltails for the various kits i could use to id.

Thanks

Hi all
I was wondering if there is a way to id what shift kit is installed in my trans, if any. I just bought the car and have no history. The valvebody is out getting new gaskets and a general checkover. It was shifting poorly at times and very nice others. It seems like it might have a shift kit. Also it won't shift at WOT with the tv cable adjusted properly. I did have a gasket blown out around the accumulator housing. The valves seem to move freely. I was just wondering if there were any telltails for the various kits i could use to id.
Thanks
The leaking accumulator gasket is an issue. Were the gaskets stuck when removed? It you like, you can contact me via phone, I can help you identify the installation of a shift kit. They all have tells. I probably will not be online again today

The leaking accumulator gasket is an issue. Were the gaskets stuck when removed? It you like, you can contact me via phone, I can help you identify the installation of a shift kit. They all have tells. I probably will not be online again today
The valve body gaskets were stuck to the vb but not the case. They were old and brittle. Its possible that it has no shift kit. I have never driven a stock properly functioning turbo regal trans. It does shift very quick when its working good.

I put new gaskets in yesterday and cleaned the valvebody. I dont think it has a shift kit in it at all. It had all of the checkballs (11 total). It still wont upshift at WOT. I have to let off a tiny bit. If i back off the TV cable 3 clicks it will shift but the light throttle shifts are terrible. I am planning on giving it a proper rebuild later on but i just want it to work properly now.

When you adjust the TV cable do you press the lock and slide the cable all the way to the back of the car, with the engine off, of course, press the gas pedal to the floor to auto set it or with the throttle body linkage?

When you adjust the TV cable do you press the lock and slide the cable all the way to the back of the car, with the engine off, of course, press the gas pedal to the floor to auto set it or with the throttle body linkage?
I adjusted it at the linkage. I have been messing with it a bit and I think I got it now. It's very sensitive. Now it needs a shift kit.

One of the guys said on the other thread to go with California Performance Transmisions. I think Art Carr owns the shop or use to. I have an Art Carr shift kit and LOVE it, very stout crisp shifts.
The first one I put in was B&M. Since the turbo Buick Trans shifts very nice from the factory (I ordered my car new) I didn't want to go too stiff so I installed the B&M heavy duty towing part and it shifted softer than stock.
I immediately installed the rest of the street/ strip parts and it was about the same as stock.
The B&M used different springs in the accumulators, a higher line pressure spring and taking out some check balls with larger holes.
The Art Carr uses accumulator springs and spacers along with different spool valves and springs in the valve body with the removal of check ball and larger holes. It seems Transgo is similar to the Art Carr, but check with Mr. Husek for the latest low down.