She went on the road today - Good & Bad!

tomard

80 Vette with a 4BQ
I took my 2004r on the road today ..... had a couple of issues that I could use some opinions on .....

1) She overheated rather quickly .... about 15-20 minutes she was over 260*, so I took her back to garage and parked her. She has an external aluminum finned 18" cooler - maybe not enough, and I should get one of those B&M's infront of radiator types IN ADDITION to what I have? Also, I have a 2800-3200 L/U TCC ..... Luckily I also put on a B&M tranny temp gauge, or I would never have known ......

2) She shifted little harsh, especially on downshifts (after it got hot and I was baby-ing her back home). I will check TV & Pressures when I get some time.

Any other things I should check or look at?

Did you check your cooler flow? Quart in 20 sec. is what I've always heard.
BTW where is your temp sensor located?

did the tranny burp on you. mine did when it was new lost about a quart on the ground

Cooler is located approx underneath radiator, but not touching radiator (is bolted into radiator support). I did not see any fluid loss, but will check again when I get home ......

Would LOW or HIGH fluid levels affect this? I did not check cooler flow, but will now!!!!

Temp sensor is located about 8-10" from return nipple on tranny (top nipple).

low level will effect this. also poor flow as well. who built the tranny?

Top line is the flow from trans to cooler & will show higher temps than the return. I don't think it should be that high though.

I built tranny myself. I have appearantly put the temp sensor on incorrect line .... will fix that when I add 2nd cooler. My cooler lines coming out of tranny (and sensor) sit pretty close to my header flange too, a couple of inches away but still .... wonder if that is contributing to heat???

The plan is to check flow to existing cooler when I ADD new cooler as well.

I will get new hard lines installed and try to get them as far away from heat sources as possible, correct sensor to RETURN (bottom nipple on tranny) side, and check flow.

Anything else??? Should I get complete pressure readings & recheck TV adjustment:confused:

I don't know if you have a front mount, but here's where I put mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.JPG
    IMG_0173.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 140
I don't YET, have a front mount, but am thinking about ADDING one, and running hard line to/from it.

I will probably need some adapter fittings to the B&M 70266 cooler that has 1/2" fittings.

My fluid was about a quart low (at lower end of checkered indicator on dipstick).

Going out in a few minutes to adjust TV (check) and hook up pressure gauge to see where I am at.

I am going to spend a little time on tranny today - here is the plan:

1) Drain & take off the pan, so that I can visually see TV adjustment, replace the leaky shift shaft seal and electrical plug needs replaced.

2) Hook up the pressure gauge to drivers side pressure inlet

3) Move the temp gauge sensor to line coming in to LOWER nipple on tranny.

4) Put on new shift seal, electrical plug, pan installed and filled

5) Take cooler flow reading (is qt = 20 seconds pretty accurate???) I was going to take it from lower tube before I put sensor on, and have it squirt into a bottle, to avoid too much of a mess.

6) If cooler flow is good, then get sensor installed, sealed and operation checked.

7) Take complete pressure readings (She is up on jackstands so I can go through all the checks that require her to be in gear) & check for any leaks...

8) If all good, Road test

Anything else I should do?