Severely oiled spark plugs..what's the cause?

TulsaGN

For a while now, I have been having a problem with spark plugs showing oil on the threads and electrodes, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm talking every single plug. I change the plugs and let the car run until reaching running temperature, but I don't drive it, then I turn off car and check plugs and ALL plugs are very oiled. Obviously, the car isn't running great due to the plugs being so junked up. Anyone?

does it smoke when you drive? sound like the valve seals seeping into the combustion chamber. If you have never had a valve job, go get one done. Also, are the valve covers leaking? i've seen valve covers leak down the side of the head puddling up in the spark plug area. When you remove the plug, they get full of oil. Good luck. I would also say do a compression check, but doubt all 6 pistons have leaking rings/blowby:eek:

I have thought of the valve covers, but I replaced the gasket and valve covers, and there are no leaks now.

The heads are Champion iron ported and have had them for several years. I seem to remember that when I got them, something needed to be done to them and a machine shop several of us buick guys used did the work. It's been so long I can't remember what it was.

I would love it if it were only a valve job! I really don't want to have to re-do the motor. Anyone else?

If it was the valve seals it might not be all six of the cylinders oiling up your spark plugs on a consistent basis. Does it smoke when your start it up? Maybe you might try swapping out the turbo with a known good one, it might be the oil seal in the turbo. Hope this helps.

When I put fresh plugs in it, it doesn't really smoke. It starts to get a little smokey after the plugs get oiled up. If the plugs didn't get oiled up, then I don't think it would smoke.

I guess I don't understand the turbo being the culprit of the oiled plugs. Please explain.

I guess it could be the intake gasket, if it's not sealing.

Has anyone had this problem?

if it was the intake gasket, you'd have alot more than oil getting in the combustion chamber. Most likely your valve seals have all worn evenly, and started to leak at the same time:eek: if it were your turbo seal, you'd have oil from the compressor housing all the way through your intercooler, into the throttle body, down the manifold into the valve bowl, etc.... I doubt that. Do that compression check, if it looks good, take the car down to have some seals put in it.

Yes, up-pipe is clean internally.

If the intake gasket was leaking, what other problems might I see besides possibly oiling down the plugs? In other words, what checks can I look at when trying to determine a leaky intake gasket.

IF YOUR INTAKE WAS LEAKING, YOU'D HAVE WATER POURING INTO THE EXHAUST, OR POURING INTO THE ENGINE OIL AND YOU'D HAVE MORE THAN JUST OIL ON YOUR PLUGS!!!!!!! for god's sake, do a compression check to eliminate rings, and then go get your valves done.?? you seem to be looking for an easy fix, but the only easy fix would be valve cover gaskets leaking into the plugs. You have a problem you need to fix, and your going about it in a mechanical way, not a technical way. Rule out rings which would be major, you checked the up pipe eliminating turbo seal, you;ve checked the valve cover gaskets eliminating that, I know you;ve checked the oil and dont have a milk shake in there so that eliminates the manifold gasket, and there's not water burning off in your exhaust also showing the manifold gasket is not leaking in to the exhaust either. What else is left? valve seals. damn, if i'm wrong, i'm wrong, but thats how I would trouble shoot it on my car......pull the plenumn too, maybe the pcv is blowing oil into the intake:D but that would mean blowby.

I'm NOT looking for an easy fix, I'm trying to deduce and get all the info I can before I take the time to take things off. The problem is I don't have the tools to do a leak down test or compression check. I've also read a post where someone was having the same problem, only on 1 spark plug instead of all 6, and it ended up being scarring on cylinder wall and it DIDN'T show up on a compression test. I really hope I don't have to pull the motor for cylinder wall problems.

newbie here, don't want to hi-jack thread but... what kind of plugs are yall running? i have run ngk's on my other blown & juiced engines. what heat range are yall using as well?
thanks in advance

Use the search function..you'll see all you need to know. I run AC R42TS, 32 gap, but really depends on how much boost your running.

ok...I've moved and am now revisiting this problem. As stated, it's ALL 6 plugs that are very oiled and black. This happens as fast as just starting the car and letting it idle for a couple of minutes with new plugs they'll be nice and wet. I will do a compression check, I have to buy or borrow somebody's gauge. The car still has good power, runs good, and starts right up(now that I replaced the IAC), with little or no smoke. When I go full throttle it does leave a nice little cloud at that point and doesn't seem to continue smoking if I stay in it. No antifreeze in oil and is not using up the antifreeze.

I think it's either rings, valve guides(heads), or I guess it could be from the pcv, but I don't think so. I'm going to pull the plenum and see if there is oil in the intake, but I know there is no oil from turbo and not in up-pipe or throttle body. I'll update when I do the plenum.

Question....is there any way, besides taking the motor apart, to determine if it's rings or heads? Thanks!!

ok...I've moved and am now revisiting this problem. As stated, it's ALL 6 plugs that are very oiled and black. This happens as fast as just starting the car and letting it idle for a couple of minutes with new plugs they'll be nice and wet. I will do a compression check, I have to buy or borrow somebody's gauge. The car still has good power, runs good, and starts right up(now that I replaced the IAC), with little or no smoke. When I go full throttle it does leave a nice little cloud at that point and doesn't seem to continue smoking if I stay in it. No antifreeze in oil and is not using up the antifreeze.

I think it's either rings, valve guides(heads), or I guess it could be from the pcv, but I don't think so. I'm going to pull the plenum and see if there is oil in the intake, but I know there is no oil from turbo and not in up-pipe or throttle body. I'll update when I do the plenum.

Question....is there any way, besides taking the motor apart, to determine if it's rings or heads? Thanks!!

Are you sure it's oil and not gas???

Then..

newbie here, don't want to hi-jack thread but... what kind of plugs are yall running? i have run ngk's on my other blown & juiced engines. what heat range are yall using as well?
thanks in advance

Why not start your own thread???:confused:

I pulled a plug after idling and checking fuel pressure and it was wet and even a small run around the bottom of the plug threads, because I was holding the plug upward. Did NOT smell any gas, just smelled like oil and I even tried to light it to make sure it wasn't gas and no ignite.

The compression check should tell you if its the rings. Seals can be installed w/o removing the heads, but BE CAREFUL and don't drop a valve.

Good luck,
HOW