Setting the main thrust bearing

TurboGN

Whats the best procedure for "setting" the main thrust bearing while the engine is still in the car? I've heard to set the cap in place by slightly tightening then loosening the bolts, tapping the crank back with a rubber mallet (easy), prying forward, then torquing down while prying forward. Is this correct or is there a better method?

First find the cause of the bearing failure.

I'll skip the checking the main bore because that is not happening with the engine in the car and crank in the block.

The book says to just pry the crank to each way then torque the cap - do not use the bolts to pull the cap into the block.

It fits so tight that it does not seem to do anything but it is easy enough and the book says so.

Your method for setting the thrust sound like it will work just fine. One thing I do that I have found helpful is check the thrust clearance with no caps in place. Install the upper bearing halves in the block, lube and place the crank in the block. Check the trust clearance before putting any caps on. Note the measurement you get. Now finish assembling the bottom end, setting the thrust cap as you described above. Check the thrust again the measurment you get should be the same as without the caps, if not you may have a thrust cap alignment problem. Good luck.

Let me run this past ya'll.

1. put upper bearing shells in block saddles
2. put crank in but no lower bearings
3. check and note crank run out with large screwdriver
4. add upper shells and caps, torque to 12lb-ft
5. pry crank forward and gently wack with rubber mallet
6. wack crank forward with mallet
7. torque caps to specs
8. check crank run out

That right?