SES light wont go off???

Buix893

Buick = $$$
When I put my key into the ignition it flashes very fast and turns off. Then When I start the car it stays on constantly. I don't have any MAL codes so what could cause this?

I'd reseat the chip and double check the pins. Sounds like you're running off of the calpak?

Try to swap the chip. Fast flashing indicates a chip\ECM error. Check for bad connections.

I put in a another good ECM and CHIP and still the SES ligh flashes for a second then is steady with engibne running...:confused:

Nope...I put key into ignition and turn to on position and it flashes the SES light very fast once. Then When I start the car it is a steady SES light. Car runs a bit rough for a minute then clears up.

I got no MAL codes, can I check the aldl with a paperclip or that doesnt matter?

Ahh just pull the bulb out :wink:.

I would pull the chip and calpack out and make sure the pins are straight and making good contact. To check the codes jump the top 2 ports on the right side of the ALDL.

LOL...this car will be the death of me...I know how to jump the ALDL but how do ya read the codes? And how can ya tell if ya dont have any codes?

The codes in the scanmaster should produce the same codes as jumping A/B on the ALDL!..so i see no use, except maybe for peace of mind. You could pull the calpak out of the ECM and see if it cranks/runs if so, you should get code 52. If it doesn't run.. bad primary chip/pins/ECM sections or ??... Hard to diagnose electrical crap without being there and seeing!

GC

They blink in morse code ex: Blink (1).....................Blink...Blink(2) that would be code 12 which is normal for a good ecm.

LOL...this car will be the death of me...I know how to jump the ALDL but how do ya read the codes? And how can ya tell if ya dont have any codes?
You read the codes by the number of flashes from the SES light. I believe it starts off with a 12(blink-blink, blink)3 times. Then it will flash a code, if one has been stored. Example: a code 34 would read blink, blink, blink-blink, blink, blink, blink. It would repeat this 3 times, then move on to the next code. When it is done it will flash a 12 again. If you get just 12s, then there are no mal codes set.

Ahh just pull the bulb out :wink:.

Dave, I have always admired your straight to the point professional solutions to the problems of these cars.:rolleyes: That's why I've always looked to you for help. Another good question answered by the "answerDave":biggrin: I just don't what we'd do without you.:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Have you toggled thru the scanmaster??..The stored codes are in the last section also....MAL # as an example.

GC

Ok...I used the paperclip and the SES blinks code 12 over and over so I have no codes, also scanmaster shows no codes.

I then disconnected the calpak chip and started the car and scanmaster showed me a code 52, so everything is working as it should.

Why is it that it blinks then it is in the ON position, when running is solid is up in the air. I think the SES light is faulty so im gonna ignore it or pull the bulb

Ok...I used the paperclip and the SES blinks code 12 over and over so I have no codes, also scanmaster shows no codes.

I then disconnected the calpak chip and started the car and scanmaster showed me a code 52, so everything is working as it should.

Why is it that it blinks then it is in the ON position, when running is solid is up in the air. I think the SES light is faulty so im gonna ignore it or pull the bulb

You cant just pull the bulb! That is what is used as a resistor in the charging system. He was just joking. Read up at Vortex Buicks for a full explanation. Caspers sells a kit to bypass the bulb for $45 & is sold as an alternator feild fix for when the bulb burns out etc. You can just leave it in full time & then forget the bulb.

I just don't what we'd do without you.:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Everyone on the forum would probably have a good running car lol.

OP, dont pull the bulb, that was a joke. Although my dad had electrical tape over his 84 Camaro CEL until he sold it :rolleyes:. There has to be certain perimeters for a code to set, ex: sometimes if the car doesnt see a certain sensor voltage within a range for a couple of seconds it will throw a code. What are your SM #'s when the car is cold, Key on engine off?

Here are my Sn #'s when engine is cold/off and key on

AF-04
L8-00
Bat-12.0
RPM-00
Int-128
BL-128
Clt-76
ATS-80
TPS.42
MPH-00
IAC-140