Servo leaking (new rebuild)

tta1401

Just got my transmission back from a rebuild. Installed, filled and noticed some leakage. Cleaned twice and found it was coming from the servo. Emailed builder but it's the weekend and I'm impatient and I've got the next few weekends booked. Can't find any how-to's to remove the cover. I'd like to know if it's nicked on the cover, case, or if the seal is rolled/broke. It's a pretty bad leak especially after it sits. Shutdown pic attached taken minutes after running.

Attachments

• IMAG2206.jpg
    IMAG2206.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 189
Get the builder to send you the o ring or get one local for your servo and pull the retaining ring and cover. You might be able to see it is cut or rolled.
I'd just put the new o ring and and put it back together. Might need some transgel or vaseline on it to get it back in.

I'll practice on my spare transmission. Easier to see what I'll be up against when I do the one in my car.

It's hard to tell from the pic but this looks like a serious burr on the case that probably cut the o ring. If that's what it looks like you'll want to file/sand it off and brake clean it BEFORE you pop the servo out.

image.png

If you are still running a cat it can be cramped in there. Might have to pull the cross member and drop the rear of the trans a bit to gain the room to goof with it. Just support the trans well as prying on it could knock it off whatever you are using to support it.

Just got my transmission back from a rebuild. Installed, filled and noticed some leakage. Cleaned twice and found it was coming from the servo. Emailed builder but it's the weekend and I'm impatient and I've got the next few weekends booked. Can't find any how-to's to remove the cover. I'd like to know if it's nicked on the cover, case, or if the seal is rolled/broke. It's a pretty bad leak especially after it sits. Shutdown pic attached taken minutes after running.
The o-ring is most likely damaged. Press cover in and note amount of movement for reassembly. At WHITE arrows in pic, use a thin blade screwdriver and pry out snap ring. Hopefully it was installed in the correct orientation for easy removal. Looks like the cover has been installed and removed many times already from marks on it. When snap ring is removed, use a larger blade screwdriver at RED arrow, removal grove in cover, and remove cover. Remove o-ring from bore if it does not come out with cover. Remove the inner servo assembly. Note position of parts. Inspect bore in case for burrs or damage, inspect cover for damage. Inspect all o-rings for damage and replace as needed. Install inner servo assembly into cover. Apply trans fluid to case bore and all o-rings and slide complete servo into case as removed. You will need to use some force to get servo to push in all the way. Install snap ring back into groove in case and make sure it is seated. The gap in the snap ring should be close to a slot in the case, see GREEN arrows. Press cover in, it should be the same amount of movement as before. Be creative. Extra hands can come in handy if available.

Servocover remove.jpg

The o-ring is most likely damaged. Press cover in and note amount of movement for reassembly. At WHITE arrows in pic, use a thin blade screwdriver and pry out snap ring. Hopefully it was installed in the correct orientation for easy removal. Looks like the cover has been installed and removed many times already from marks on it. When snap ring is removed, use a larger blade screwdriver at RED arrow, removal grove in cover, and remove cover. Remove o-ring from bore if it does not come out with cover. Remove the inner servo assembly. Note position of parts. Inspect bore in case for burrs or damage, inspect cover for damage. Inspect all o-rings for damage and replace as needed. Install inner servo assembly into cover. Apply trans fluid to case bore and all o-rings and slide complete servo into case as removed. You will need to use some force to get servo to push in all the way. Install snap ring back into groove in case and make sure it is seated. The gap in the snap ring should be close to a slot in the case, see GREEN arrows. Press cover in, it should be the same amount of movement as before. Be creative. Extra hands can come in handy if available.

View attachment 275457

That was very, very detailed and I'll definately use this as my guid for sure. Hopefully the builder will get back to me in the morning. Thanks for all the replies.

Got the cover off but the o-ring was not sealed properly. The builder had it off a few times trying to adjust the pin length and overlooked it. Honest mistake and took all blame for it. He's over nighting a new o-ring just to be on the safe side. BTW, the snap ring was a bit of a pain to get out but now that I've done it, no big deal.

Will this make me want to learn to build my own? Nope. :)