Servo Install Questions

Indemnity

I just installed a GN servo into my CZF MCSS tranny along with a 3000 stall. First gear is fine, no slipping, but 2nd and 3rd slip and my shifts are soft which makes me think something went wrong with the servo install. One thing I noticed was my stock servo is very tight in the case, needed pliers to get it out but the GN servo was very loose, easily pulled in and out by hand and spun around in the case bore. Is this where my problem lies? Am I correct in thinking that a botched servo install will only affect 2nd and 3rd while 1st will work normally. Fluid level is correct, TV is correct, and the tranny was fine before the converter and servo. Thanks for any input.

With that loose fit you describe, it sounds like the servo seals are no longer doing their job. Did you replace them?

Indemnity said:
I just installed a GN servo into my CZF MCSS tranny along with a 3000 stall. First gear is fine, no slipping, but 2nd and 3rd slip and my shifts are soft which makes me think something went wrong with the servo install. One thing I noticed was my stock servo is very tight in the case, needed pliers to get it out but the GN servo was very loose, easily pulled in and out by hand and spun around in the case bore. Is this where my problem lies? Am I correct in thinking that a botched servo install will only affect 2nd and 3rd while 1st will work normally. Fluid level is correct, TV is correct, and the tranny was fine before the converter and servo. Thanks for any input.

IMHO a loose converter would severly camoflage a super crisp shift when compared to the stock converter...... I am not saying that everything is OK with your servo install.... I'm just saying that if you were to have done the servo upgrade w/o the converter upgrade..... drove it..... then swapped the converter..... you would definately notice a softer shift feel with the higher stall converter.....

At least it is something else to consider.....

I agree with the loose converter theory. I have a 3,600 stall and the car does not shift crisp until I go WOT and then it shifts great.

get a pressure gauge..........

(would you go to a doctor who had no stethoscope......?)

B

I plan on pulling the assembly when I get a chance. Unfortunately, I have long tubes so getting to the servo may be a problem without dropping the trans. I agree with the converter causing the trans to shift softer, but it does not make it slip, which is what I am chasing.

I pulled the servo assembly today, found no problems. Reinstalled the stock MC servo and it fit like the GN one, seemingly loose, so I put the GN servo back in. The only difference I noticed this time was I was able to put the cover in much further than before, I was easily able to get the snap ring in by hand. Took it for a spin and it seems much better, dunno if the slipping is entirely gone as I didn't do any WOT, but part throttle is back to normal. I'm guessing that the servo wasn't square on the pin causing it to bind. Either way, thanks for the input.