Seperating trans from engine.

pontiac6269

Anyone have ideas on how to get the transmission bell housing to seperate from the engine block. I'm changing the torque converter. Have all bolts, crossmember, lines and wires disconnected and out of the way. I've let the jack down to where there is no pressure on the trans pan and it still won't break free. Have another jack with a board on it under the engine oil pan to support the engine. 87 Turbo Regal with a 145,000 miles and I don't think they've been seperated before. I've rocked it side to side.

Thanks,
Eric

Support the transmission with the jack at approximately 1/3 of the way back from the front of the tranny. There are 6 bolts in the bellhousing, make certain they are all out. There is a dowel pin on each side of the bellhousing, you may need to use a prybar to seperate the tranny from the engine.

Thanks, everything is disconnected, I checked many times. I think it is correded around the dowel pins. Sprayed some penetrating oil around the dowels and will see what happens tomorrow.

6 bell housing bolts and 3 TC bolts. With trans supported find a place to tap a screw driver in between the block and bell housing.

My engine and trans were stuck together pretty good too. Luckily it was on a lift and we could wedge in a large pry bar. When they parted ways one of the pins stuck in the bellhousing. Had to tap it out and drive it back in the block.

This might sound silly, but is the shift linkage & drive shaft disconnected? :wink:

Some transmissions separate very easily, some need "persuasion". You may need to angle the trans slightly different while pulling.

Do yourself a favor, support the engine by the balancer on the front of the crank. You dont want to dent that oilpan at all.

If the motor mounts are in you shouldn't really need to support it anyway?

Do yourself a favor, support the engine by the balancer on the front of the crank. You dont want to dent that oilpan at all.

If the motor mounts are in you shouldn't really need to support it anyway?

putting a jack under the balancer will do nothing to support an engine that wants to tip backwards, and even if it did, that's about the last place you'd want to support the engine, anyways.
put a i foot long piece of 2X4 between the pan and the jack so that it spreads the load to both sides of the pan, and you won't damage the pan at all. this applies to both the engine and trans- except i prefer to use 1/2" plywood under the trans to make it less tippy.
make sure that the engine and trans are both supported to keep it from falling, and jerk the tailshaft of the trans side to side until the bellhousing pops loose.

To each their own I guess, but I have dented the oilpan on two seperate occasions using a 2x4 or a 4x4 block. Maybe I just have a really soft oilpan???

Even the flywheel will work if you have room to maneuver.

Everything is removed, this isn't the first time I've removed a transmission from a car but is the first one to be stuck to the block.

Thanks,
Eric

If you still can’t get it out as a last result get a ratcheting tie strap hook one end to the trans use the trans bolt to bolt it to it than the other end to the axle or something behind the car if you don’t feel safe using the axle I used this to get a 400 off a 454 one time that would not come off.

Just got the transmission seperated from the engine. Sprayed penetrating oil on the dowels for the past two days. Stuck a pry bar on the drivers side where there is a piece of the trans that over laps the block and was able to break it lose. Thanks for suggestions.

Thanks,
Eric