Senator Kerry's spending plans

Silver 6

Combustion Engine Addict
We hear a lot currently about how Senator Kerry plans to save Social Security and Medicare and also balance the budget. This is long, but they are his plans after all.

Please tell me how this works.

ON SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE:

Eliminate the payroll taxes on the lower income brackets.
Add additional coverage and expland to more people.

ON BUSINESS TAXES:

Cancel the tax cuts only on those earning over $200,000.
Grant additional tax cuts to big business.

ON BALANCING THE FEDERAL BUDGET he has the following plans which Chris Edwards has pulled from Senator Kerry's web site:

Agriculture
Increase spending on conservation programs and farm subsidies.
Expand Amtrak service in rural areas.
Increase spending on rural health care and community health clinics.

AIDS Plan
Increase AIDS spending abroad to $30 billion.
Increase spending on tuberculosis and malaria.
Increase spending to train foreign health-care workers.
Expand programs to assist children orphaned by AIDS.
New programs to help women reduce risk of HIV infection.

Americans with Disabilities
Enhance Medicare coverage for workers with disabilities.
Low interest loans for bus companies to purchase accessible busses.
Federal grants for Paratransit, particularly in rural areas.
Expand Project ACTION for civil rights in transportation services.
Increased spending on the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

Children
Increase child-care funding with grants to the states.
Ensure after-school care for every child in America.
Fund states to provide salary bonuses to child-care workers who get
training.
Expand child anti-abuse programs.
Increase the Child Care and Development Block Grant.
New program to train health professionals and school officials to prevent
childhood obesity.

Economy and Jobs
Expand YouthBuild and other job-training and education programs.
Subsidize manufacturers to provide worker health-care and retirement benefits.
New "State Tax Relief and Education Fund" to give the states $50 billion over two years.
Expand programs that assist minority- and women-owned companies.
Assist workers in declining industries to retrain and upgrade skills.
Cancel a portion of student loans for engineering and computer students if they agree to work in manufacturing.

Education
Expand Head Start and Early Head Start.
New National Education Trust Fund to increase education funding.
Fund the 21st Century Community Learning Center program.
Expand early intervention efforts like Gear-Up and TRIO.
Issue $24.8 billion in new bonds to build and repair schools.
New refundable tax credit for $4,000 of college tuition.
New "I Have a Dream" program to prepare for college.
New "Service for College" initiative to earn college tuition in exchange for two years of community service.

Energy and Environment
New Manhattan Project to make America independent of Middle East oil.
New renewable energy trust fund.
New national tracking system for chronic diseases and environmental hazards.

Health
Expand health care coverage to 96 percent of Americans and provide health insurance for every child in America.
Enhance Medicare benefits to include rehabilitation services, community-transition services, mental-health parity, and home health service.
Expand the new Medicare drug benefit.
Expand Medicaid benefits.
Greater federal financing of long-term services for the disabled.
Subsidies to companies and insurance firms to pay for part of catastrophic health costs.
Technology bonus for companies to switch to electronic health records.
Fund drug-abuse prevention and treatment.
Raise the Medicare-reimbursement rate for nurse midwives.

Homeland Security
New First Defenders Service to hire 100,000 firefighters.
New Community Defense Service to organize Americans under community Service Captains.
National Homeland Health Initiative for health training and research.

Housing
New demonstration projects for disabled housing.
Expand Section 8 housing-voucher program.
Increase funding for seniors' independent living centers and local aging agencies.

National Service
New Retired Not Tired program to enroll 100,000 seniors in community service.
New Summer of Service program for teenagers.
Major expansion of the Peace Corps.

Native Americans
Increase funding for the Indian Health Service.
Strengthen health care for Indian seniors.
Increase funding for roads and infrastructure in Indian Country.
Build safe and affordable housing in Indian Country.
Increase loans to Native-American-owned small businesses.
New Office of Native American Affairs in the Small Business Administration.
New grant program to assist American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Repair and build new schools for Indian children.
Increase funding for tribal colleges.
Increase funding for tribal courts.

Small Business
Expand micro-loans for small businesses.
Expand loans for small business start-ups.
New Office of Manufacturing at the Small Business Administration.
Increase the government's venture capital investments.
New refundable tax credits to small businesses for health insurance.

Technology
Fund cutting-edge technology that the private sector will not.
Increase research funding for the Department of Energy, NASA, and the National Science Foundation.
Double funding for the Manufacturing Extension Partnership.

Urban America
New Affordable Housing Trust Fund to provide 1.5 million rental units for low-income families.
New funding for faith-based charities that provide services to children, families, seniors, and that fund AIDS education, shelter, drug prevention, and job training.
Increase funding of drug-treatment programs.

Veterans and Military
Increase veterans' retirement benefits.
New program to fund health care for reservists.
Bolster Family Assistance Centers on military bases.
Improve service members' life insurance and increase benefits for surviving spouses.

Is there some sort of World Lottery we plan on hitting as a country? That's a lot of spending! Maybe he'll just decide to get rid of the military completely. That would free up a lot of money. :p :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bishir
... Maybe he'll just decide to get rid of the military completely. That would free up a lot of money. :p :rolleyes:

Don't laugh! There are those (f'in Dem's :mad: ) that would in a heartbeat!

What are we going to do with another 100,000 Firefighters? Is that to put out the cities that will be burning?

The government will end up subsidizing arsonists.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by bishir
... Maybe he'll just decide to get rid of the military completely. That would free up a lot of money.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't laugh! There are those (f'in Dem's ) that would in a
heartbeat!

Na, GW would never let that happen, not while our boys are gettin blown away while he makes jokes.....

'oh boy, cant find those weapons of mass destruction, maybe they're over here (GW prances across the room with that stupid fuc'insmile) wow, he's funny, specially to the families whos sons are dead over in Iraq.

Wow, someone puts up Kerry's own plans for spending, and the Bush-haters come calling. That's different:rolleyes:

Smokin'6 back on the attack, not the message

I started this as a seperate thread with just what Senator Kerry has put out himself. No spin, no messages from a Republican board, just his own web site.

As per normal, what do I get, a change back to bashing on the Democratic talking points.

This has been tried in other posts time and time again with the same result. Lets state what Senator Kerry is really offering and have a debate about it. He says he has a plan to balance the budget. I am looking at his spending plans and do not see a way in HELL he can do it without taking a lot more out of our pockets. The federal budget is costing over $8,500 per person THIS year. I have no way to estimate what our cost will be with all the spending he plans.

Can you reach the level of an honest debate on the issues?

Can you imagine what the Bush vs Kerry debates are going to be like? Bush has trouble putting more than two sentences together.
He'd better have a teleprompter..........Doh!

Originally posted by We4ster
Can you imagine what the Bush vs Kerry debates are going to be like? Bush has trouble putting more than two sentences together.
He'd better have a teleprompter..........Doh!

A chimp could debate Kerry on the issues, he would just have to periodically hold up the following signs:

Jonh Kerry is the most Liberal senator in congress

John Kerry Doesn't Believe in the Death Penalty for Murderers

John Kerry has a 0% rating with the NRA

John Kerry didn't show up for work 64% of the time in 2003 but kept 100% of his salary + perks

John Kerry is for a 36 MPG CAFE for Trucks and SUV's

John Kerry never met a Democrat tax increase he didn't support (If he bothered to show up that day)

John Kerry has a 0% rating with the NRA...
John Kerry is for a 36 MPG CAFE for Trucks and SUV's....

These are good things!

John Kerry has a 0% rating with the NRA...
John Kerry is for a 36 MPG CAFE for Trucks and SUV's....

These are good things!

Not if you are an american autoworker or want a truck that can tow a trailer.

You probably thought "luxury taxes" on Boats, airplanes and Furs was a "good thing", too.

let's ship ALL the Jobs overseas :rolleyes:

Doh!

That doesnt apply to commercial trucking....
Luxury Tax..............good thing and I'm a boat owner..

Next?

Good.... You like paying taxes.... Then he can raise yours, but leave me alone! If Kerry wins you can sign your pay check over to him every week. But don't come looking for mine - I pay enough.

"Good.... You like paying taxes.... Then he can raise yours, but leave me alone! If Kerry wins you can sign your pay check over to him every week. But don't come looking for mine - I pay enough".

Alan,

Nice try, but who controls the senate and the house?
Duh, the republicans..So if taxes go up, guess who you get to blame. Taxes should be cut for the middle and lower class...Stick it to the fat cats in washington d.c.!

Proud to be an AMERICAN

I am in the middle class... So tell me why a person who pays no tax should get a tax cut. I believe it is around 46% of the country does not pay any taxes. So I guess my taxes should be used to give them a nice fat refund. I know who controls the Senate and the Congress.... The same people who gave me (a middle class earner) a tax cut. If the Dems were to control everything I would be paying more. I have seen a list from Kerry's own site as to what he stands for. I do not see how he can pay for it without raising my taxes. Notice I say my taxes...... remember about 46% of the people do not pay taxes. I will stick with the lesser of the two evils - George W. Bush.

Alan

Doh!

That doesnt apply to commercial trucking....
Luxury Tax..............good thing and I'm a boat owner..

Next?

So you are going to hire somebody to tow your WE4 to the Track? :rolleyes: It does apply to somebody wanting to buy a pickup with V-8 (what most little guys drive). CAFE is a TAX on the middle class (a Gas Guzzler TAX) Not only will you be paying additional tax on the additional gas you use, but will be paying for the "previledge" to use it.

Unrealistic CAFE standards have a negative impact on air quality also, because less people will buy new vehicles to replace the older vehicles that pollute 10X to 100X as much as the current models.

The Luxury tax's resulted in so many lost jobs in the Boat, Aircraft and fur industries that they were repealed.

Even the democrats voted against them when they realized their mistake. But you are for them? California deserves it's high unemployment rate if this is the mindset there.

TAX THE RICH!!! WORKERS OF THE WOLRD UNITE!!!

I love how these people talk about kerry and spending,not one president has spent or put us in debt more than Bush. Also I like how Bush isnt in controll of every thing,its congress. But on the other hand Kerry can just walk in and pass all these laws that you list. Republicans you cant have it both ways.

Taxes should be cut for the middle and lower class...Stick it to the fat cats in washington d.c.!

Proud to be an AMERICAN IDIOT
The lower class doesn't pay federal taxes your moron! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by chevyII
I love how these people talk about kerry and spending,not one president has spent or put us in debt more than Bush. Also I like how Bush isnt in controll of every thing,its congress. But on the other hand Kerry can just walk in and pass all these laws that you list. Republicans you cant have it both ways.

It's painful to admit, but this is the most sensible thing I've seen you post. The government(Dems and Repubs)during this administration has spent way too much, and the war on terror(as important as it is)just makes it seem worse. Unfortunately, cutting waste includes eliminating social programs and government giveaways(good); and anyone doing so would be labeled as the devil by the media(bad). I guess the "lower taxes and less spending" Republicans are long gone. Since there isn't an ideal candidate who I agree with 100%, I'm going to choose the more conservative candidate.