Self-contained INTERNAL antenna to bypass exterior antenna?

GNXcess

Greetings,

Got a low mile 87 T, and want to save the antenna (which still works) and I don't feel like pulling fenders and re-engineering my wrists again like I did 10 years ago on my last TR.

Anybody out there with any experience with replacements-- i.e. a pack or something (even 12v powered) I can plug into the radio for decent reception while I go to the occasional cruise night.

Gotta believe they're out there-- esp since the 1970s buried units in the windshield seemed to be okay alternatives.

Any guidance, brands, tips?

Thanks!

I would be interested about this as well. Since I have my original antenna too. i saw in kirbans catalog about some device that you can manually turn on and off your antenna??

i have a brand new factory ac delco power antenna new in the box if anyone is interested!

Sorry, Tom, don't know if you minded or not, I just thought that I would post that for you, as I did not know if you were currently on the board or not.

turbo39151 said:
I removed my antenna and have been told by a local audio shops that I could lay a standard antenna along the inside of the dash plate and it would work ok. I haven't tried this so I don't know if it works.

I had planned on using an amplified dealie like the one at this site: (69 bucks!)

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....tegory_id=110/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd105.htm

That is the exact antenna I was going to recommend. I've used it in a couple of my customer's cars with no probs. I don't remeber them being that much though. If you can hold out for a few days, I can check my suppliers to see if I can get them cheaper.

Craig

I'd be interested too...my GN had the hole for the antenna perfectly filled by the prior owner and I don't want to open it up or swap out the original fender on a low mileage car. Still have the radio in it w/CS2 and may just go with Sirius instead and eliminate the need for any external AM/FM antenna. I also recall that years ago Radio Shack or JC Whitney used to sell an antenna that would plug into the back of the radio and was 6-8 inches long and stayed behind the dash...

I'll stop by my supplier tomarrow and I'll post a final price. It looks like it could be around $30 shipped, but I'll check for sure.

PepBoys was selling an ampllified antenna, had short flat metal "wings" and a center piece w/ led was all black and 8"x1". I was considering it; could window mount or mount it to passenger side visor and route the wire down the A pillar to the radio.

Metra makes that antenna, its awesome, we use it in a lot of street rods and stuff.

If you contact most stereo shops, they can order it for you for a lot cheaper.

I don't have the exact model but I can get it when I go to the shop on Monday.

I checked both of my wholesalers and neither has them. Anybody that arries the Metra line should be able to order them. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Xtant Regal said:
Metra makes that antenna, its awesome, we use it in a lot of street rods and stuff.
If you contact most stereo shops, they can order it for you for a lot cheaper.
I don't have the exact model but I can get it when I go to the shop on Monday.
-----------------------------------------
Can't speak for everybody else, but I would like to have the model # so I know what to order.