Security Light - How was it originally designed to work?

jc29236

I am trying to identify a possible drain on my battery. Can you someone tell me the correct action of the security light. Currently when the car is NOT locked, doors open or closed the security light flashes continuously . If I lock the doors (by drivers side lock switch) the security light goes solid. Is this correct? With the lights always on or flashing, I am suspicious this might be the possible cause for the drain. Since the car is 20 plus years and I am not an original owner I am trying to gather some information on the what it was intended to work. Thank you for your help.

Doors closed: No Light
Doors open unlocked: Light Flashing
Doors Open Locked: Light steady. Light will go out a few seconds after the door is closed.

THANK YOU. I guess the next question is simply disconnect the bulb or address with disconnecting the security module, not sure if just removing the bulb will stop the drain.

Pull the door panels and check the door lock wire harness. Most cars they will be rusty from all the years of moisture getting in. Replace outer window belt moldings is a good idea too. I would clean up the connectors so you get a good ground on the door cylinder clip and make sure the wires are not cracked or broken. If im not mistaken you can disconnect one side of the harness to the lock and see if the problem continues then try the other door. Usually the driverside is the culprit from more usage.

I realize this is an older thread but wanted to share my findings. I had the same issue and went through all the troubleshooting procedures described in the turbo regal repair manual. This includes checking the pin switches and door lock switches. Ended up being the ignition warning buzzer switch (picture). When I was tightening up the loose tilt wheel knuckle I installed the retaining spring on top of the buzzer switch causing a permanent ground in the system. Moved the spring to the bottom, as in the picture, and security system was back to normal along with the return of the key in/door open chime.