Sealing off oil bypass valve in pump???

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
A long while back I remember someone telling me to take a dime and JB weld it to the oil bypass valve in the pump assembly. This mod soposedly prevented unfiltered oil from going through the motor when the valve opened at approximately 60psi. Anyone remember this idea? Is this true? The idea sounds good to me...

I have seen this done with a small oil galley type plug. You must let motor warm up before you rev the motor or oil filter may burst!!!

Hey Joe,
I did this to mine when I did the TC about 5K miles ago along with a booster plate and biggie oil filter adapter. I used napa part# CEP2193054 which is a .594 expansion plug. I slightly expanded it and put it in bowl side in so I didn't need to gut the bypass plunger and such and if I want to remove it I should be able to slightly drill then punch and put a screw in it and pull it right out. So far I've had no issues at all.
HTH

I knew I wasn't fabricating this idea in my head...thanks for the input. Just pushing on that bypass valve doesn't make me think that thing is capable of holding back 60psi....no wonder why we loose the motor when the HG's blow at WOT; even a tired LC2 will make 60 psi at full boogie. On my GN I had the turbo saver from PT&E and it seemed to do its job well...too bad nothing like that is available for the TTA!

Just pushing on that bypass valve doesn't make me think that thing is capable of holding back 60psi
Remember pressure, psi= pounds per square inch. That is FORCE, divided by AREA. The bypass valve has an AREA of only a fraction of a square inch, so the FORCE to compress the spring can be only a small fraction of 60 pounds.