SD question

ImpalaSam

I see a lot of threads on here about the SD chips but I don't see
much on the dynamic EBL system. What are the differences
between the two? From my reading they both look to do the same
thing. FYI just looking for information.

I run the Dynamic EBL-P4, but I don't know much about the SD2 chip so I cannot make a fair comparison in terms of firmware and features. In the end, what it comes down to is user preference. With my setup, as the EBL learns VE you don't need to go back into the log, grab the data, and then make the necessary changes. You just "flash" the new VE in. It saves every .bin file from the base tune forward as you go, so you could always go back if need be just by "flashing" it back in again if you need to. I tune with TunerPro RT using my laptop which is not only free, but covers every conceivable area in the tune, and I datalog with the WUD (what's up display) which is included in the purchase using my tablet....

The dynamic EBL replaces the factory ecm and has allot more tune ability. The SD chip installs in the factory ecm and requires a Powerlogger to do it's thing. Both really great tuning devices. For simplicity the SD chip takes the cake but won't cover as much as the Dynamic EBL.

My $.02 :coffee:

So both options allow the user to eliminate the MAF and manipulate the fuel and timing.
The Dynamic actually replaces the eprom with flash memory where the SD2 chip data
is altered with the PL, correct? Does anyone know of any big pros and cons of either
system? I'm not trying to start an argument just looking for real world comparisons.

There are two camps. Most that go either way stay down that path, so I guess that means both systems are good.

We have installed and tuned a few SD2 chips, but only know what I have read about the Dynamic EBL. :confused:

I do know the SD2 is custom programmed for each application and will run the car well when just installed. But do not see where this happens with the EBL?

The ability to also develop a precise VE table for the SD2 in the car is a plus, and it does not use a MAF either.

Our opinion so far is the SD2 chip will do all most street cars need and can use, and if it is a more of a race car used in competition, then it is time to step up to the FAST XFI.

Our dyno test on a SD2 equipped GN last week with a stock engine and turbo put out 414 RWHP which greatly exceeded the owner's expectation [and our's]! :)

I do know the SD2 is custom programmed for each application and will run the car well when just installed. But do not see where this happens with the EBL?

Nick, it is even more simple with Dynamic EFI. You can either select a base tune from one of the many that best suit the engines needs that essentially comes with the Dynamic EFI package, or you simply do your own thing and select the size of your injectors and cubic inch displacement and target air/fuel using Tuner Pro RT just as you would do with XFI, flash the information in, then set to VE Learn before turning the engine over. Yes, it is that simple. From there, using your wideband (or narrowband if wideband is unavailable), start the engine, and go. That is it. The VE Learn using the wideband will self tune the VE in every single area after a few short drives, and the VE is precise in every single cell, even under boost the VE will learn, and when finished learning, flash it in. But if by chance the user does not have a wideband, the narrowband will cover the VE in every single area except when under boost, which then the user can always go in and tune his or her boosted cells in Tuner Pro RT anyway based on the datalogging through the WUD, but the wideband is what you'd want to use, of course...

Nick, it is even more simple with Dynamic EFI. You can either select a base tune from one of the many that best suit the engines needs that essentially comes with the Dynamic EFI package, or you simply do your own thing and select the size of your injectors and cubic inch displacement and target air/fuel using Tuner Pro RT just as you would do with XFI,...........

Sounds good, but would like to see more about this unit if there is an on-line demo that would illustrate what you are describing?

Sounds good, but would like to see more about this unit if there is an on-line demo that would illustrate what you are describing?

Nick, I am actually working on that now, but I'd like to get Bob Rauscher in the demo explaining the system, but before I can take the GTA to Pennsylvania I need to wrap up two areas first, battery relocation and alky system. But once that's wrapped up, I will put the illustration on youtube. So far I just have installation instructions with pictures in another thread. We'll eventually remove the current tune entirely, start from scratch, and illustrate as we go. I'm fiddling with a SBC using the Dynamic EBL-P4 system, with pretty hefty mods. But I'll have Bob Rauscher's Grand National on the demo using the Dynamic EBL SFI-6 on there too. Big thanks goes to Paul "pacecarta" as he has helped me a ton with this engine, despite cringing because its a Chevy lol. Thanks Paul.

a155440c-d6dd-46b5-a048-9b40caf25ca0_zpsa6828be8.jpg

Last edited:
How do these compare to megasquirt?

What seems to be the most cost effective solution?

I am not knocking Megaqsuirt, I actually had one awhile back but then sold it off. I think it was a great alternative back when DIY'ers were in a bind when it came to boost, especially when members didn't want to get into prom tuning and just wanted to drive their cars. But then they were stuck putting it together, and getting second hand technical information. I personally won't run anything other than the EBL-P4/SFI-6 though, and Bob Rauscher wrote the firmware, stands behind it, and is available right away if someone has a question, and I mean any question, even if its unrelated. The man is a genius, and those who know him know that is an understatement. I think what the folks are doing with the stock '7148 ECM is incredible too, though. I just prefer flash based systems. I know a lot of guys that are members here, and they too, just like Nick above, want an illustration, as well as a demo. I am just waiting for the weather to get better. My EBL-P4 is located in the stock location, and I fabricated a little area where the connection is located, almost factory like...;

95330d3a-6d3f-4943-a845-d0f6066a8da0_zps9f8be73a.jpg

096c529d-c26d-4daf-a167-943a10465477_zps60ac8de1.jpg