Scottsdale 2008 Carlist

I don't like these Barrett-Jackson auctions...Everyone goes crazy there, over-evaluating the cars and often end up paying twice the real value of what they're really worth. I don't care if there was only one car made with this or that option and in no way it justifies being ripped off by these nuts bragging about the fact that they're more valuable because fewer were made! My opinion is that if fewer were made like that is because it was not a popular choice and does not represent what most people wanted at the time!... so why would someone pay top dollar for an unpopular car! Not me !...I'd rather have a car that has always been liked by everyone than having an oddball car that most people don't even remember or care about!
Then, everyone sees this on tv and begin to think that their own cars are worth these inflated prices and try to ask ridiculous amounts for them...for example, I saw a nice 1967 Chevelle selling for more that $125,000...and a '63 Corvette coupe for over $250,000 !!! Come on!...These cars probably sold for something close to $5,000 when new...also, any Dodge or Plymouth having a Hemi engine it it brings in some totally ridiculous, skyrocketed amounts......If fact, I remember when these cars were new, they had poor quality control, the body often leaked water in them (I know...I had one!), their engines were oversized gas guzzlers and we thought they were fast because there was nothing else quicker at the time...
I'm saying all this because for "ordinary" people like me, we cannot afford some of these nice cars anymore because of this B-J auction!
Claude :redface:

Then, everyone sees this on tv and begin to think that their own cars are worth these inflated prices and try to ask ridiculous amounts for them...for example, I saw a nice 1967 Chevelle selling for more that $125,000...and a '63 Corvette coupe for over $250,000 !!! Come on!...These cars probably sold for something close to $5,000 when new...also, any Dodge or Plymouth having a Hemi engine it it brings in some totally ridiculous amounts......If fact, I remember when these cars were new, they had poor quality control, the body often leaked water in them (I know...I had one!), their engines were oversized gas guzzlers and we thought they were fast because there was nothing else quicker at the time...
I'm saying all this because for "ordinary" people like me, we cannot afford some of these nice cars anymore because of this fu**ing B-J auction!
Claude :mad:

Don't get mad. Old Cars were crap. It's great people pay big bucks for these cars, so guys like me that bought them when they were $5K can make a buck and buy a car that actually goes fast and handles good.

I spent 20 years restoring cars for the love of the car and spending what I thought was more money than I could ever get out of the car. If some rich guy wants to pay me for my efforts and buy a car nobody (but me) wanted 20 years ago, don't begrudge him.

If you want a nice Turbo Buick, buy one now, because the wave is coming for them, too.

Oops...

"UNGN" maybe I got carried away a bit...sorry...:eek: I did not want to give the impression that I was mad...(You'll notice that I "toned down" my post a little...):rolleyes: ...but I still feel that way about B-J...:wink: I'll never buy or sell a vehicle through them.
Thanks,

Claude :wink:

It's not the auction at fault for the inflated prices, it's the bidders. These are guys that liked them when they were new and now they are loaded and could care less if the price is $50K or $150K. Rumor has it that BJ is running up the bids and if that is true it will eventually get proven and they will go down for it. Until then, if some old dude wants to give $100K+ for a car that a TR can beat in every category, let them do it. Even if BJ is running the bid up on every single car, the high prices are still determined by the one bidder standing there letting them bend him over. A fool and his money are soon parted. Eventually the focus will shift to later cars as the old geezers move to their nursing homes, and the next generation steps up to buy the cars that THEY lusted over as teenagers.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

That is the same car that sold at Palm Beach 2007 for $34K. Bought by dealer in Arizona, tried selling it three or 4 times on Ebay and got no bites. They originally tried selling it for $50K.

Even used the same description for PB 2007.

The fillers are terrible, the antenna is broken.

I thought that was the Ebay car. Just wasnt sure. I followed that one every time it was on there and never came close to what he wanted, go figure.

Berrett Jackson is just a "whos got the biggest ego" game. If you mix the auction with live TV well you've got a reality show and the bidder is the star. They do make some of the prices unreachable to average people, but I think the smart ones just stay clear of BJ and buy from normal honest people.;) BJ by far calls the shots on the car market with value, but it sure does try. I just like to see all the old cars back together like they were in the day. Its nice to see some of those cars get sold for good money, though.

It's not the auction at fault for the inflated prices, it's the bidders. These are guys that liked them when they were new and now they are loaded and could care less if the price is $50K or $150K. Rumor has it that BJ is running up the bids and if that is true it will eventually get proven and they will go down for it. Until then, if some old dude wants to give $100K+ for a car that a TR can beat in every category, let them do it. Even if BJ is running the bid up on every single car, the high prices are still determined by the one bidder standing there letting them bend him over. A fool and his money are soon parted. Eventually the focus will shift to later cars as the old geezers move to their nursing homes, and the next generation steps up to buy the cars that THEY lusted over as teenagers.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

You've got most of the facts right. B-J created that market. The Jackson family is nothing but a bunch of scammers out to make their bank account fat. That's been a given for years. It's been awhile since I did it but awhile back you could google B-J and State Attorney General and read up on all of the lawsuits against them. I've said it a few times. When the latest muscle car bubble pops it's going to take them and the rest of the dot.commer gang with them. And B-J is the one to blame. When that Shelby Cobra went for $5M last year it marked the beginning of the end.Why people idolize that auction is beyound me?:confused:

You've got most of the facts right. B-J created that market. The Jackson family is nothing but a bunch of scammers out to make their bank account fat. That's been a given for years. It's been awhile since I did it but awhile back you could google B-J and State Attorney General and read up on all of the lawsuits against them. I've said it a few times. When the latest muscle car bubble pops it's going to take them and the rest of the dot.commer gang with them. And B-J is the one to blame. When that Shelby Cobra went for $5M last year it marked the beginning of the end.Why people idolize that auction is beyound me?:confused:

So let me get this right, people think its Craig Jacksons fault, Other people over pay, and willingly pay B-J 8-10% on top, and all B-J does is house them and bring them all together, and auction them. I can't see where he (Craig Jackson) is doing wrong, he is getting rich selling things that aren't his, and appealing to the male ego.....on tv, and laughs all the way to the bank. He not a crook IF its all in the open. He's a genius!
Now if there are other things happening I agree w/ you 100%. There will always be law suits, but they have an enormous following of happy buyers and sellers. I just think this is part of society, change the name and the widgit, and its alot of companies. Some people expect their cars to be the next $5M shelby, GMC future liner bus, or $2m plymouth hemi 'cuda...and when it isnt, in a litigous society, you sue....or some do.

That is the same car that sold at Palm Beach 2007 for $34K. Bought by dealer in Arizona, tried selling it three or 4 times on Ebay and got no bites. They originally tried selling it for $50K.

Even used the same description for PB 2007.

The fillers are terrible, the antenna is broken.

No doubt... that thing looks terrible in the pics. Needs a complete paint job!

The Galina's car was on the auction as well ........ at one time.
Most likely old news ..... but good pics! :tongue:

Attachments

• 21086_Side_Profile.jpg
    21086_Side_Profile.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 146
  • galina.jpg
    galina.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 147
Anyone know how the "no reserve " works? I know how it is supposed to work but how BJ works it?

"No Reserve" at B-J means you can buy your own car back if get a shill and pay the buyer and seller fees to Craig.

So let me get this right, people think its Craig Jacksons fault, Other people over pay, and willingly pay B-J 8-10% on top, and all B-J does is house them and bring them all together, and auction them. I can't see where he (Craig Jackson) is doing wrong, he is getting rich selling things that aren't his, and appealing to the male ego.....on tv, and laughs all the way to the bank. He not a crook IF its all in the open. He's a genius!
Now if there are other things happening I agree w/ you 100%. There will always be law suits, but they have an enormous following of happy buyers and sellers. I just think this is part of society, change the name and the widgit, and its alot of companies. Some people expect their cars to be the next $5M shelby, GMC future liner bus, or $2m plymouth hemi 'cuda...and when it isnt, in a litigous society, you sue....or some do.

You hit the nail on the head. All he did was prove he is a smart businessman. He doesn't twist any arms, no more than a new car dealer. The people who buy cars, do that on their own. The people who run cars through the auction, do that on their own. Craig Jackson and his organization does a wonderful job.

Barrett seems to take the brunt of the blame, but there are many other well known auctions, except they didn't negotiate a nice contract on Speed like the Jackson's did. Bet no one looks at some of the prices that these cars bring at RM, Kruse, Mecum, Leake or one of the 1,000's of auctions out there.

I have put several cars through there the past several years, and they are a class organization to work with. Sure, you will have some sellers and buyers complain when things do not go as they hoped, but that happens with any business venture.

"No Reserve" at B-J means you can buy your own car back if get a shill and pay the buyer and seller fees to Craig.

The shill better has to have buyers credentials to do that, and that costs a couple hundred to have, plus cash on hand or a BOA card.

Most other auction companies still offer the ability to have a reserve, and you see quite a few no sales at the others. the BJ is more TV oriented because they all sell, and there's no boring run throughs of cars that don't sell because the reserve is too high. I was reading in a mopar magazine awhile back about a hemi cuda that was bid to $4 MILLION dollars at another auction and didn't sell because the reserve wasn't lifted. Two fools met that day.

Reason I ask is because

@ Columbus this past summer I was introduced to Galina by a friend. The conversation turned to his race car. He made the statement the he was bidding on it himself. So I assumed that he still had to pay the seller and buyer fees. BJ has a no loose situation. I was there winter before last--from around 11 AM until 5 PM. My wife made the statement that if we were running the auction we would have free drinks for all bidders. Maybe they do. Some of them sure appear to be intoxicated with something--either $ or alcohol.

I don't like these Barrett-Jackson auctions...Everyone goes crazy there, over-evaluating the cars and often end up paying twice the real value of what they're really worth. I don't care if there was only one car made with this or that option and in no way it justifies being ripped off by these nuts bragging about the fact that they're more valuable because fewer were made! My opinion is that if fewer were made like that is because it was not a popular choice and does not represent what most people wanted at the time!... so why would someone pay top dollar for an unpopular car! Not me !...I'd rather have a car that has always been liked by everyone than having an oddball car that most people don't even remember or care about!
Then, everyone sees this on tv and begin to think that their own cars are worth these inflated prices and try to ask ridiculous amounts for them...for example, I saw a nice 1967 Chevelle selling for more that $125,000...and a '63 Corvette coupe for over $250,000 !!! Come on!...These cars probably sold for something close to $5,000 when new...also, any Dodge or Plymouth having a Hemi engine it it brings in some totally ridiculous, skyrocketed amounts......If fact, I remember when these cars were new, they had poor quality control, the body often leaked water in them (I know...I had one!), their engines were oversized gas guzzlers and we thought they were fast because there was nothing else quicker at the time...
I'm saying all this because for "ordinary" people like me, we cannot afford some of these nice cars anymore because of this B-J auction!
Claude :redface:

This is the exact reason why i think a GN posi rear should not be worth $1000 :mad: thats just greed