Scoring on Overrun clutch housing and piston?

Sleeper-6

Look what i found. There is heavy scoring inside my overrun clutch housing, and matching marks on the bottom of the overrun apply piston. I'm a little baffled on how two parts that rotate together have score marks like this on them. Has anyone seen this before? Is there any way to prevent this? The metal that rubs off goes somewhere, and I don't want it in my trans.

Attachments

• overrun.jpg
    overrun.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 139
Sleeper,

I have the same problem as well. I get scoring in the overrun and the direct drum/piston

Everytime I pull the tranny down, I always replace them.

Hmm. My direct parts looked good, burnt up, but not scored. If this is normal, I'll just polish them up and not worrey about it, but I wanted to see what everyone else usually found before I buttoned it up.

you know, maybe it has to do with inertia.

If you have a drum spinning at high RPM (like in first gear) and you slam on the band fast, Maybe the piston will spin in the housing because of its rotating mass.

Maybe the same thing is happening to the overrun drum. When 4th comes on, doesnt the 4th clutch stop the carrier from turning?

Just a thought that came up

That's exactly what i was thinking, Inertia is the only thing that makes any sense. I haven't studyed what is spinning when to determine if that's it, but it has to be. There is no other logical explanation.

The question is, is there a way to stop it? The only way that I know of is some sort of locator , like the Low/reverse piston in a TH350.

DO NOT USE IT!!! Either piece....

change the drum and piston and add another 1or 2 OverRun piston return waved springs. That willl cure it. That is the CORRECT way to cure it.
Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com

Thanks Bruce. I think I get it, more force from the return springs will keep the piston clamped tighter to the drum when the Overrun clutches are not applied therefore preventing them from spinning against each other. :D Damn, why coulden't I think of that?

Holy Mackrel Batman

I think he's got it. LOL
Just trying to bring a little humor. No ill intent.
Try it , you will be happy.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSXTREME.com