Scared to ask... what's this noise

Any metal shavings in the oil? I thought of a loose converter bolt but you said its coming from the top. :confused: :confused:

I haven't cut open a filter yet or anything.

Call me crazy I still say in person it doesn't sound quite so mechanical.

And again tonight I wanted to check if blipping the throttle made the noise go away but the valve cover started leaking so I turned it off. If the noise goes away at a different RPM I would think it's not the engine...

I haven't cut open a filter yet or anything.

Call me crazy I still say in person it doesn't sound quite so mechanical.

And again tonight I wanted to check if blipping the throttle made the noise go away but the valve cover started leaking so I turned it off. If the noise goes away at a different RPM I would think it's not the engine...

if your planning to cut the oil filter i would recommend to cut it with a tubing cutter so you wont get any shavings from trying to use a hacksaw when cutting the oil filter

Wasn't really planning on it anyway, still not convinced that this is an internal engine problem. Too much of a coincidence that I just replaced an intake gasket and I'm hearing noises up there now. But good tip. I probably would be dumb enough to freak out about metal shavings from the filter housing itself lol.

What happened to the intake gasket,that you had to replace it?

How long after you replaced the intake gasket and what if anything did you notice before this noise started?

John :smile:

Replaced intake gasket because I did a boost/vacuum leak test and sprayed soapy water down around the edges of the intake and was getting some bubbling. So I decided to put in a fresh one.

I can't say for sure when it started, I would think if it happened the very first time I started the car after doing the gasket I would have thought "oh crap I did something wrong". Wasn't until starting my car the next few times that I was hearing this strange noise.

How many miles are on your engine and have you replaced anything in it recently;oil pump gears,timing chain gears,valve springs,camshaft,fuel regulator?

39,000 original motor never opened up. Haven't replaced anything internal. Everything I've done is bolt ons.

cut the oil filter....look around....

drop the oil pan, check the bearings....you gotta face it..

go from there...

tensioner

I heard a simular noise. I replaced my tensioner and it did not go away. I bought a shorter belt and it fixed the problem. It all started when I discovered I could give it a little gas and the noise would quit.:)

I heard a simular noise. I replaced my tensioner and it did not go away. I bought a shorter belt and it fixed the problem. It all started when I discovered I could give it a little gas and the noise would quit.:)

Thanks for replying. Keeps my hopes up that it's not something inside the engine. Too bad my noise still happens with the belt off.

When I changed the intake gasket I made sure to soak up the couple drops of coolant that managed to drip into the valley. I poured fresh oil over all the lifters and down the holes in the valley where I could see the camshaft. Then I changed the oil completely before starting it up. Could there really have been bearing damage from stray coolant that I missed?

Doubtful unless it was a lot of coolant.

I lost a bit at 134K when I didn't drop the pan and tried to goop the lower oil pan corners of the front cover gasket.

When that leaked I lost a bit of coolant in there when I had to pull the front cover gasket off again and the oil pan too and do it right, and have had no issues.

Well none yet at 180K. ;)

I'd look at the tensioner or something gone awry with the intake gasket install.