Scared to ask... what's this noise

waterpump?

Could be. Maybe the stupid spring inside the lower hose made it's way in there. But it sure sounds like it's higher up, in the area where I was holding the camera. And it's definitely quieter if you stand on the driver's side of the car, making me think it's something further to the passenger side than the water pump.

Dude I thought you were a mechanic?Maybe you should sell the GN and get a Honda ?:biggrin:

Remove the serpentine belt....Is the noise still there?

Most of the sounds on that video are normal in my experience....The unusual sound is like a metal-to-metal sound. A bad bearing sound I'd guess ;) Water pump, alternator, powersteering....?

You have made Fabulous use of modern technology in your video and online question! :cool:

Yeah was just thinking about going and removing the belt after hearing the water pump suggestion. Thanks for the tip. Starting to rain here now but I will try that.

Loose timing chain? Like the tensioner fell apart.

Also check the rocker shafts. They may have come loose causing the valvetrain to make a different more annoying sound than usual.

Well I had the rocker shafts off to make sure the intake valves were closed during a boost leak test and torqued them to spec when reattached. Guess I'll have to check if something came loose.

Mainly I'm just sitting here with a knot in my stomach hoping that it's nothing like cam bearings or anything. I don't really know what that would sound like. As long as it's not that major I don't mind figuring it out.

Well I had the rocker shafts off to make sure the intake valves were closed during a boost leak test and torqued them to spec when reattached. Guess I'll have to check if something came loose.

Mainly I'm just sitting here with a knot in my stomach hoping that it's nothing like cam bearings or anything. I don't really know what that would sound like. As long as it's not that major I don't mind figuring it out.

I feel your pain,my cam just went out on me driving from DR BOOST HOUSE about two weeks ago.My signs were lost of power and noise coming from the valve covers.

Well im going with billet roller cam ect:i hope to GOD in the next couple of weeks i will have this nightmare done with.BlackMetal i hope this problem you have isn't the same problem that i have

Hopefully not! Later tonight I'm gunna pop that valve cover and hope I notice something simple. No issues here with actually driving the car, still pulls fine.

sounds like something hitting the timing cover- timing chain related, maybe.
or is it possible that the crank sensor ring is hitting something, maybe?

I dunno. I wish someone could see it in person. It really sounds up high by the valve cover or intake. And I just changed the intake gasket a while ago so that's why I suspect something top end.

I will try to take more video tomorrow and really try to distinguish which area it's coming from.

Also I think when I cracked the throttle a little bit the noise disappeared but I didn't confirm that on video.

Well I went out to try again and now I'm getting smoke from that side of the engine. Valve cover is probably leaking now. Still doesn't sound like anything at the front of the engine like people are suggesting. But I don't care I'm staying out of the garage for a while.