Scanmaster Numbers... suggestions?

Chrisssssssss

Hey all.

Soooo I have kinda been playing around with the car since I have had it for the last few months... Now I am gonna take it off the road for the winter soon and do some overhaulin on it.

I got the car off my father that has had it for the last 10+ years. It's an '86 T-Top car with 113k on it as we speak. Everything is stock except bigger downpipe and new exhaust, 37# injectors, thrasher chip for 92 octane, scanmaster, K&N filter, adjustable FP regulator, new hotwired fuel pump (not too sure which one - but I know it was a common recommended one for the car... and I think that's about it.

So now that the car is up here in Canada with me, I use Chevron 94 octane fuel.

Here's the numbers that the scanmaster says just before I put the car in the garage for me.

o2's .777mv 4.2 degrees retard (when I pushed the recall button)
af 05
LB 38
Bat 14.1
int 128
BL 128
MPH 00
CLT 167
ATS 54
r 750-800
tps .42
IAC 00
cc 102
NAL 00

and the 02's at idle were kinda weird tonight. They were sitting around high 500's low 600's and they used to sit around the 800 mark.

I would like to know what all this means with the car. The car's boost holds steady around 15psi sometimes hitting 16.

Thanks in advance.

You need to adjust your IAC to read 10-20 or so. Do a search and you'll find the procedure here.

Chrisssssssss said:
Hey all.

Soooo I have kinda been playing around with the car since I have had it for the last few months... Now I am gonna take it off the road for the winter soon and do some overhaulin on it.

I got the car off my father that has had it for the last 10+ years. It's an '86 T-Top car with 113k on it as we speak. Everything is stock except bigger downpipe and new exhaust, 37# injectors, thrasher chip for 92 octane, scanmaster, K&N filter, adjustable FP regulator, new hotwired fuel pump (not too sure which one - but I know it was a common recommended one for the car... and I think that's about it.

So now that the car is up here in Canada with me, I use Chevron 94 octane fuel.

Here's the numbers that the scanmaster says just before I put the car in the garage for me.

o2's .777mv 4.2 degrees retard (when I pushed the recall button)
af 05
LB 38
Bat 14.1
int 128
BL 128
MPH 00
CLT 167
ATS 54
r 750-800
tps .42
IAC 00
cc 102
NAL 00

and the 02's at idle were kinda weird tonight. They were sitting around high 500's low 600's and they used to sit around the 800 mark.

I would like to know what all this means with the car. The car's boost holds steady around 15psi sometimes hitting 16.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Vortex Buicks site. You will learn a lot for someone new. I even refer back to it from time to time. Hit me up or PM me if you need sime help!

I have read a lot on the Vortex site. I am gonna adjust everything over the winter, and give it a good tune up while it is off the road. I am gonna so the regular maintenance things like plugs and wires, oil and filter, and that kinda stuff.

The Guru's will chime in but I don't like any knock at all, cut back on the boost for now. Knock breaks parts...

I see you had 4.2 kr when you hit the recall button.....you just went for a drive and got in it a lil huh? that being the case you did get some knock and that needs to be addressed before you start hammering on it again. However if your about to put the car up for the winter then not much to worry about at the moment. While its down study up as much as you can about the what your different settings mean on your scan master and also do a "spring cleaning" when its time to hit the road. There is a ton of info on this board, educate yourself as much as possible so you know what you are looking at and know what to expect. This will save you so much head ache when you put the car back on the road. When it comes time to hit the street again I would also recommend a TT chip as one of your first purchases.;)

Like these guys said ^. Spring cleaning first! I know your dad owned it and he probably took very good care of it, but hey - it's going to be cooped up for the winter anyway, right?

Get it running right at idle. Your numbers above look OK except for that IAC # of 00. It might just need to be adjusted a little, or it's possible you have a vacuum leak. Remember that if you mess with IAC, you are probably going to also have to set the TPS afterwards. Once you get the IAC in order, verify TPS at warm idle to be .42 min. After that's done, the next thing I would do is verify fuel pressure at idle. I don't know much about the Thrasher chip, but it's pretty universal that fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum line OFF of the regulator should be 43PSI. Some chips call for 45PSI, but somewhere between there should be OK. If your fuel pressure is lower than that with line off, bump it up - better safe than sorry and low fuel pressure can be a deadly thing for a turbo motor!! If your fuel pressure regulator is not adjustable, get an adjustable one! Especially if yours is lower than 43PSI. Note - if your line-off idle pressure is lower than 43 and you do not have an adjustable regulator, do not go WOT until the fuel pressure is corrected. As a reminder, be sure to put the vacuum line back on your regulator and note that when you do put that line back on, your fuel pressure is going to go down a few PSI - this is normal!

Once you verify idle fuel pressure, the next thing to verify would be a 1-to-1 PSI rise in fuel pressure to boost. In order to do this, you'll need an accurate boost gauge (typically not the factory one), and an accurate fuel pressure gauge. The rental / loaner gauge from the parts store should be OK to use as long as it has a long enough hose to tape to the windshield while you drive, and will read up to about 60PSI. You want to verify that your fuel pressure climbs PSI for PSI with boost; if you're running 15 PSI boost, your fuel PSI should go up to 58PSI (43PSI + 15PSI boost = 58PSI)! If you're running 16 PSI boost, your FP should go up to 59PSI and so-on. If fuel pressure doesn't rise 1:1 with boost pressure, stay out of WOT until you get this corrected. This could be a symptom of a weak fuel delivery system, and weak fuel systems cause lean conditions which are motor killers!

Use the down time in winter to get the bare essentials to monitor vitals of the car. You already have the ScanMaster; get a permanent aftermarket boost gauge and fuel pressure gauge and get them installed. They will go a long way towards preserving the longevity of your motor.

It may sound like a lot right now, but you will get to know your car. The sooner you do, the sooner you will be having a LOT of fun. Just keep in mind that if you're not sure about something, search here first, then post up. This board is full of a lot of guys who know a LOT about these cars. Some of us are grumpy as hell, and even though they may seem to b!tch at you a little bit for asking the same question that has been asked hundreds of times, they will probably answer. Some of them have forgotten more than many of us will ever learn! Just be sure you fully understand what you're doing before you do it and if you don't know, ask. While these cars are very enjoyable they can sometimes offer little forgiveness for mistakes, and mistakes can be VERY costly! Welcome to Turbobuick.com!

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I am gonna verify fuel pressure soon. I am going to get a pressure gauge. I have an adjustable FPR and also have a hotwired Walbro pump. I am gonna change out the fuel filter and do the plugs and wires... do all the regular maintenance stuff and spring cleaning on the car when I take it off the road for the winter. I am reading a lot on this site and everyone here seems really knowledgeable.

I do also have an aftermarket autometer boost gauge.

I am running 94 octane gas in it and the chip is set up for 92. I don't get why there should be any knock with 94. I will back down the boost a bit tho. I don't bag on it hard, I just wanted to give it a run to see what the numbers say. I don't think I like the chip that's in it. I plan on getting a TT chip set up for 94 octane.

My goal for this car is to keep it as relatively stock as possible just by adding some bolt-ons. I plan on getting an alky set-up as I think that this will help. If and when it requires a rebuild then I will look at modding it. Maybe a different turbo and some bigger injectors (it has new 36# green top ones that was just put in), but that's about it. I am not looking at going too crazy with it - but that idea may change too...

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I am gonna verify fuel pressure soon. I am going to get a pressure gauge. I have an adjustable FPR and also have a hotwired Walbro pump. I am gonna change out the fuel filter and do the plugs and wires... do all the regular maintenance stuff and spring cleaning on the car when I take it off the road for the winter. I am reading a lot on this site and everyone here seems really knowledgeable.

I do also have an aftermarket autometer boost gauge.

I am running 94 octane gas in it and the chip is set up for 92. I don't get why there should be any knock with 94. I will back down the boost a bit tho. I don't bag on it hard, I just wanted to give it a run to see what the numbers say. I don't think I like the chip that's in it. I plan on getting a TT chip set up for 94 octane.

My goal for this car is to keep it as relatively stock as possible just by adding some bolt-ons. I plan on getting an alky set-up as I think that this will help. If and when it requires a rebuild then I will look at modding it. Maybe a different turbo and some bigger injectors (it has new 36# green top ones that was just put in), but that's about it. I am not looking at going too crazy with it - but that idea may change too...

Welcome to turbobuick.com website, and the world of Buick Turbo's. Your comment about keeping your car kinda stock is the way we all start out, ha ha. Check out this link for a good reference to the scanmaster reading and what they mean exactly http://turbotweak.com/scanmasterinstructions.pdf
Sounds like you have a lot of the "must have parts" already ! Good luck, with your car.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. Glad to be here. I have dome a lot of reading and am becoming more familiar with the world of the turbo Buick. I don't know how stock the car will end up being... I was thinking of taking this motor out as is while it still is all original and getting something different for it. I see a thread about using a 3800 bottom end or something like that I am interested in learning more about. The other thing on the list - Getting a new technology turbo not too crazy, but just something that spools faster and has more boost and a TT chip and maybe some bigger injectors. I will also add alky. If I can get into the 12's I would be happy.

Just so you know prior to a chip upgrade, the Thrasher chip idles in open loop at a fixed 13.5:1 afr so you won't see the O2 #s change much. This chip was "revolutionary" when it was developed 15 yrs ago but you will be better off with a newer design like TT.

Thanks Chuck. Glad to be here. I have dome a lot of reading and am becoming more familiar with the world of the turbo Buick. I don't know how stock the car will end up being... I was thinking of taking this motor out as is while it still is all original and getting something different for it. I see a thread about using a 3800 bottom end or something like that I am interested in learning more about. The other thing on the list - Getting a new technology turbo not too crazy, but just something that spools faster and has more boost and a TT chip and maybe some bigger injectors. I will also add alky. If I can get into the 12's I would be happy.

Pretty easy to go 12's. I just did a 12.87 on stock turbo, IC, heads, cam. Basically my only mods are K&N on the stock MAF, injectors, TT E85 chip, valve springs, fuel pump, and E85!! I know the car can go quicker if I can launch better. Lovin' the E85!!

I know about E85... I just wish that I cold get it where I am. I live in Canada (Kelowna BC) and there is no station in town that carries it. I filled up a few gallons when I brought the car back from LA with me and loved it. No knock, spooled like mad, and no problems with boost. I took a container full of it when I found that place that had it, but have since used it all up. So E85 unfortunately is not an option for me. The best that I have here is 94 Octane available. I think I am going to get a TT chip designed for 94 octane and the few mods that I have. Like I said I will be happy with 12's. The best that I have it going right now is mid-low 14's using the dynolicious app for iPhone. I know that the car is capable of faster - just have to give it a winter tune up, new chip, possibly add alky and see what happens. I can only dream of E85...