Scanmaster 2.1

Eddie Strength

I know this has been on here & probably other GN forums.
But I need some guidence.

1987 GN mostly stock, does have an old KB chip (fixen to order 60lbs injectors with chip) was running fine till about a month r 2 ago. It now will run a little rough in park and oh my gosh the exhaust smell is horrible. No smoke just fuel.....

Scanmaster #s in idle r;
1st screen - 490 p0.0
AF 04
L8 32
Bat 13.4
Int 128
Bl 150
Mph 0
Clt 167
Ats 124
R 775
Tps .40
Iac 38-70
CC 60-106

In Drive
1st screen 253 0.0
Af 03
L8 29
Bat 12.6
Tnt 128
Mph 0
Clt 178
Ats 136
R 700
Tps .40
Iac 84
Cc 06

I just really need some guidence here... I did reset iac about a month ago, could it b leaking?

When I'm back, we need to modify your ecm for the powerlogger and see what it shows for all the cells of the BLMs and see if its adding fuel all the way across. We also need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to verify your pressure rises 1:1

You gotta ditch those stock injectors and that old chip, those don't take into consideration the crappy gas that is available today, plus it probably has a high amount of timing.

If it were mine, I'd either do;

A. 60# injectors, alky chip, new pump along with that hotwire kit, an RJC powerplate, accufab regulator, and an alky kit, crank it to 22# of boost and save for a trans build.

B. 80# injectors, e85 chip, 416 or a dw300 pump and the hotwire kit Teflon lines, RJC powerplate, and an accufab regulator. 20-22# and again, save for a trans build.

IMO the 80# injectors seem to idle on gas (well 30% e85) as the 60#'s did on gas.

You should contact Chuck to see which he would suggest, he was running e85 on his 50k mile GN with 80's

The chip and injectors you're running tell me you're sitll running a stock MAF. Two things: Your BLM is 150 (pouring fuel in!)
and your AF reading is WAY low. It should read a minimum of 5 and preferably 6 while at idle!!!

Done any work lately to cause all this??

What's up Eric? I do hope u have a decent trip and stay safe!

I did forget a line on the Drive;
BL 150

I do have a fuel Pressure Gauge on it, mounted on hood.
Idle FP is 30-33 LBS
Drive FP is 38-40 LBS

Like stated B4 it ia an 87 GN with 80,563 miles on it. I bought it out of Tulsa Oklahoma about 14 months ago. I do have a lot of it's history. It did sit i a warehouse for a great # of years and was picked up some time in 2012. Anything that needed to be done at that time was done(pretty much just standard repairs to get it back up to par) was sold B/T 2 car lots B4 the past owner had picked it up in late 2012 had roughly 77.000 miles on it at this time. He did do some little stuff but nothing major on it. Did play with it at the track.

Well in 2014 he was going through a divorce and had it up for sale. I found it and we had talked for a bit but there was another person interested in it, so i let it go. A few days later he had called me, he needed to either take the car to the lawyer or $$, the gentle that was interested could not get the financing. He was asking $20,000.00 for it at this time. It did have Weld Drag Wheels on it, 6 GN Wheels, 3 Brake Masters and just boxes of stuff he had collected. I did run a car fax on it and all was good and clean!!!! He said to make an offer, i said what the hell so i lowed balled him 2 c what he would do. $13,500.00 was the offer, i figured he would hang up, he thought about it and had 2 b to the lawyer in 3 days so he said OK! When i Picked it Up it had 79,436 miles on her.

So i flew out got it we loaded it up, i mean it was full i am so glad i went by my self.. Drove it back and with it loaded down i got 24 mile to the gallon all the way back to Albuquerque! It was filthy though. Got it back and got started on it.

All was good, cleaned the Interior, Motor, Under Carriage and a couple of Buffs it looked good. So about 6-7 months ago i was washing it and man it really ran like CRAP. Miss, idled really bad and moisture in the exhaust really bad. So started tinkering with different things. Replaced the IAC, Replaced the MAF, did another tune up(Plugs & Wires). After several days it ran fine again. Next time i washed it, it all started back over. So i did some InterWeb investigation.

I had found that sometimes the AC box can fill with water and drip into the PCM, WOW... So i decided to take it out and c, there it was water on the top at the plug in! Anyway i took it out cleaned it and the master plug from the car, took it apart to make sure the water did not get in it, DRY! It worked fine, but has mot been the same. I do work Part Time at O'Reilly for the Discounts(it is cost) so i decided to order another PCM. I put it n and still not the same and all these problems, cant say all these problems just this problem has been here every sense!

TurboDave, there is a little history. If u look in my page u can see pics of all that i have done over the past 14 months with the car!

I will admit, i have loved these cars since HS and am so HAPPY that i do have one now and at a great price. I am a V8 man and always have been, built plenty in all the big 3. I can c now with these cars how flustrating they can b! Right now we have a LOVE/HATE relationship but i wouldn't trade it for the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will say this forum is filled with great guys and gals and i think i have made some great friendships that i do hope to grow. Eris has been a wealth of knowledge i am sure he thinks i am an idiot(sometimes now with this car i do feel like an idiot) but oh no i do agree with all u have said in ur statement above!

So any ideas?

Last edited:
Dave brings up another issue, the stock MAF. They're not too bad when OEM stock, but if someone along the way replaced it with a reman, its time to get a translator & an LT1/LS1 MAF. When my stock one died, it took 3 tries to find a somewhat functioning reman, got the translator and an LT1 MAF and have never had an issue in the 12+ years since

I second the opinion of replacing the stock MAF.

Some free thing to try on your new or old ECM: Check for loose or corroded chip socket- try retensioning the fingers in the socket. Is chip seated correctly?

If you have not already done so, disconnect the battery from your ECM then reconnect. This will let the chip re-learn everything. You have probably done this, but it does not hurt to check.

Good luck,
M

I second the opinion of replacing the stock MAF.

Some free thing to try on your new or old ECM: Check for loose or corroded chip socket- try retensioning the fingers in the socket. Is chip seated correctly?

If you have not already done so, disconnect the battery from your ECM then reconnect. This will let the chip re-learn everything. You have probably done this, but it does not hurt to check.

Good luck,
M
I did keep the old one and have the new one in it now. This weekend i will disconnect the battery and pull the PCM and check the chips to make sure they r n there good.

Good point and i have done this b4 but have not checked the chip since i put it in there!

Dave brings up another issue, the stock MAF. They're not too bad when OEM stock, but if someone along the way replaced it with a reman, its time to get a translator & an LT1/LS1 MAF. When my stock one died, it took 3 tries to find a somewhat functioning reman, got the translator and an LT1 MAF and have never had an issue in the 12+ years since

How much does something like this run?

Will i have to do anything to the programming on the chip or when i do the injectors and chip do i need to let them know about the translator?

How much does something like this run?

Will i have to do anything to the programming on the chip or when i do the injectors and chip do i need to let them know about the translator?

Turbotweak has them, if you order one of his chips, you don't have to let him know, he carries other chips called extender (extender chips measure flow of the new MAFs past 255gpms). The translator is $200 and a MAF is $130 both available from turbotweak. If you watch the for sale section, people sometimes sell their set up for a lot less when they switch to stand alone or SD tuning.

Turbotweak has them, if you order one of his chips, you don't have to let him know, he carries other chips called extender (extender chips measure flow of the new MAFs past 255gpms). The translator is $200 and a MAF is $130 both available from turbotweak. If you watch the for sale section, people sometimes sell their set up for a lot less when they switch to stand alone or SD tuning.

LT1 or LS1?