scan tools

PRSRIZD_V6

Hi guys, I've got a 98 Park Ave Ultra I thinking to doing some more mods to it, like porting the TB and eventually going to Nitrous. Does anyone make a scantool for these cars? I don't want to get out a voltmeter every time I was to check O2's or TPS.
And I'd rather not hack up the wiring too bad.

I've already put a large open element filter on and It made a big difference. I'm very familar with TurboBuick tuning as I've got an 86 GN as well, so get as technical as possible.

Scan tools can get kind of expensive, but there are programs you could get that run on a laptop. These plug into your diagnostic plug and are alot cheaper. Here's one I think: www.obd2.com As far as mods there's alot you could do before nitrous. A smaller pulley is cheap and effective on these enignes(30-40hp) Also there are intercoolers, headers, rockers, ect.

Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6
Hi guys, I've got a 98 Park Ave Ultra I thinking to doing some more mods to it, like porting the TB and eventually going to Nitrous
The throttle body isn't really a restriction till your making some power. There's a company who sells a ported T/B with a larger butterfly call RAT. www.ramairtech.com
A 25 shot of NOS will net you almost a half second since it also acts as a intercooler. Thrasher www.thrasher-ep.com has a kit to help you start.
But the best bang for the buck mod would be a 3.4" pulley. Be sure to rent or buy a puller for this mod.
Happy modding!

Yeah, I was actually looking for a laptop based scantool, I use a scnamaster 2 for my GN but ramchargers doesn't make one for a 3800, also I try to steer clear of "Over"-chargers as much as possible.

I know of a lot on the mods out there, I plan to get a dial-a-boost pulley, with a stock size pulley and a 3.4" pulley, I'll bell-mouth the TB myself, remove the MAF screen and bump up the TPS to compensate.

As stated before I like nitrous because of the cooling effects as well. I plan on a dry kit, just because I don't like the idea of mixed Nitrous and Gas flowing in the gears of my SC, I bet it would cause some irradic readings too, simply becuase gasoline and nitrous have drastically different fluid properties, so the nitrous might make it through the SC before the gasoline....

Thanks for the info guys, I'll look into finding some software.

Here's a link to a laptop based OBD-II scanner that works well, I've been using it for almost 2 years.
http://www.autotap.com/autotap.html

As stated before I like nitrous because of the cooling effects as well. I plan on a dry kit, just because I don't like the idea of mixed Nitrous and Gas flowing in the gears of my SC, I bet it would cause some irradic readings too, simply becuase gasoline and nitrous have drastically different fluid properties, so the nitrous might make it through the SC before the gasoline....
What irradic readings will this cause? If you run a wet setup, you don't have the nozzle near any sensors. I know a few people who have wet setups, and no problems at all. Just tap into the T/B after the butterfly, or purchase a T/B spacer and tap into that.

I know of a lot on the mods out there, I plan to get a dial-a-boost pulley, with a stock size pulley and a 3.4" pulley, I'll bell-mouth the TB myself, remove the MAF screen and bump up the TPS to compensate.
Just curious, why would you also want a stock sized pulley? And FYI, www.southfloridapulleyhq.com doesn't list a 3.85(stock) sized pulley for the DUB. You probably could have one custom made though, he's custom made 2 pulleys for me in the past.

And what do you mean by bump up the TPS? Why would you play with the Throttle Position Sensor if your bellmouthing the T/B?

I want a stock sized pulley because my park ave is still my daily driver (over 100 miles a day) and premature bearing wear is not an option. I know what you're going to say, "I don't know of anyone with bearing problems". Well, I've got 3 friends that worked in the V6 engine lab in Flint when our SC3800 was developed, and incidently when and where the 3.8 SFI turbo was also developed. They've said that they did all sorts of testing on pulley sizes and the stock one is the best for decent power and long life. They tested down to a 2.8in (I think) and it failed much quicker.

I assume that a wet system would give some problems, if jetted wrong and if more than a 75 hp shot were used. I know that Tom Wright is running 12's with a wet system, but I assume it wasn't just plug and play.

The inconsistances I forsee would be caused when the nitrous, would move faster through the roots gears than would the gasoline. The mixture will quickly fall out of atomization as well, wet nozzles aren't made to be sprayed very far from the intake valve. I can see a lean problem happening when the nitrous is first shot, becuase there would be nitrous making it to the intake valve before the fuel. Then a rich condition afterwards. These are all assumptions mind you, I could be totally out in the weeds. I remember reading about similar problems with spraying nitrous/gasoline through SuperChargers. Of course a dry system may have the converse problem, but it could easily be fixed with a simple delay circuit to the nitrous solenoid.

Thanks for the info on the scan tool software, I'll look into it.

nos delay

if you don`t want the fuel to lag use a suply line about 2 to 3 times longer for the n2o. i would also run a seprate 2 gal. fuel tank and pump so your still not spraying n2o if you hit the fuel cut off. i run a 90hp set up this way on my 96 riv with 3.4 pulley. my system is adapted from a 5.0 ford kit jeted for 40 psi fuel press. works great. n2o is a drug and i`m hooked for life.

I use AutoTap on my laptop and it works well.

3.8 DUB pulley is now being made. Contact SouthFloridapulleyhq.com and they can set you up with one.

Scott
97.5 GS

As you are probably aware...

RAT is now making a scanmaster for the GTP/GS cars also.

I read somewhere that you can flash program with autotap?! Is that their newest version? Or is it BS?