Scan tool?

oaklane2

Hello all , new to Buicks. I just purchased a 1985 Grand National. I have been reading up on this website and GNTType and am a little confused. Is there a scantool that works on the 1984 1985 ECM's? I have a pretty good feel for most of the work I need to do but the old electronics (and new electronics) give me fits. I have an aquaintance who is a Buick guru and friends who are full time mechanics but I don't want to lean on them too hard. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can use OBD-1 for trouble codes and some limited diagnostics and I'm not sure exactly what is was or what it was called but, I just recently redid my 85' at my friends speed shop and he had it plugged in somehow and was tuning my car with whatever he had. I'm pretty sure it was limited information he was able to observe,(not as much as a scantool produces) but it was definitely better than nothing at all. Sorry I don't know what exactly he used but I guess I just wanted to assure you that something other then upgrading your Ecm and everything else that goes with it $$$, does exist. I will reach out to him and ask him what it is. Some other members are sure to post more tangible information over the next few days as well. My name is Jimmy and congratulations on your new hotair GN ie: (welcome to hell) and welcome to the forum! Alot of great folks here with everything you need to know about turbo buicks, purchase and sell for turbo buicks, and network with some really great people throughout the turbo buick community! Good luck.

I use an autoxray 5000 on my 86 works good it is OBD1 and OBD2 so I can use it on my newer stuff also.
I can record a small amount of data in capture mode which can be useful and has a monitor mode for watching live data when it runs.
I can adjust my chips with it and its paid for its self on diagnostic fees for my newer vehicles. My buddies always drop by when there car throws a code, I tell them whats causing it and clear them with this tool. It even has a pending codes mode for sensors that are flaky this only works for OBD2 vehicles.

Welcome! You can use an OTC 2000 which I have an used its ok when its the 85 ecm the best thing I did was upgrade my ECM to 86/87 and was able to hook up a scan master I highly recommend that upgrade having a scan master is a big plus it allows u to know whats going on with ur car and its not very hard to do at all it's plug n play ... Do a search on 86/87 ECM upgrade and u will get alot of good info

I've got turbo link 3.0 that I'm no longer using that is for the stock hotair ECM. Any body want it just make an offer .

I would love it, but I don't know the going rate and don't want to under offer. Give me a price I can work with ....