SC Oil

Jordan89

Hi guys, I'm working on my neighbor's '97 Grand Priz GTP (Head Gasket), and in the process he wants me to change his Supercharger oil. I've been searching through the net and have found mixed reviews, with regards to recommended oil. On this site, I found threads that mention people going with Mobil 1 15W50 and some Lucas, and others that say to go with GM's Supercharger oil.

My question: I have a quart of Mobil 1 sitting on the shelf, should I use that, or what would you guys recommend?

If it were me and I was working on someone else's car I would probably just buy the OEM GM oil.

Just my opinion though

aaron

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Gm oil for the SC head unit. That is not "just" synthetic oil. It is very specific to superchargers. Each mfg has their own blend and you would be ok using any of them but not engine oil.
Just my .02

I'll just tell him to get the GM oil. I was just curious because I've read different things on here, and in other forums.

Gm oil or zzp sells some specific to eaton roots blowers that a couple bucks less.

Also head gaskets failing is very uncommon on series 2/3 supercharged 3800's I have bought several cars diagnosed as needing a head gasket by sellers mechanic and replaced only the common failure item of the lower intake manifold gasket

The engine is already torn apart. Now the problem that I'm facing is that the Felpro gaskets are the same part numbers for both sides, and when I install it on the left, front bank, the arrow points towards the back of the engine, even though all holes match correctly. Any suggestions on that?

If and I mean IF everything lines up you should be fine. Check the head surface as well as the block. I havnt personally done a series 2 so I would default to those that have.

Just contacted Federal Mogul, and they just confirmed that the arrow MUST face forward toward the front of the engine. They said that it must be flipped, no matter where the stripes on the gasket face. I always thought that the stripes meant up, but I've just confirmed that this is not true. You learn something new everyday, and I don't mind learning at all. I post this update for any future Felpro 9089PT gasket users. Thank you everyone for your help.

regarding supercharger oil: i looked into this a few months ago, and i found the name of the company that makes the oil that everyone else puts in their bottles- GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes- everyone that puts an Eaton supercharger on a car at the factory uses this same oil in their bottle with whatever markup they feel the need to put on it to make you feel special about buying the proper oil for your brand of car.... i can't remember the name of the company or what it's called right off hand, but i've got it written down at home..

the good news is that you can get it cheaper than GM per unit directly from the manufacturer..

the bad news is that you have to buy 5 gallons of it at a time..

that being said, i put Mobil 1 5W30 in mine a couple of months ago, and it hasn't self destructed yet...

Why anyone would gamble with putting an oil not specific to use in a supercharger is beyond me??? Whipple recommends using GM oil as a replacement to the oil they put in their units from the factory....in fact Art Whipple told me personally that the GM oil is the best out there.